What to check for ???

Kyle Dobias

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and in search for some answers. bought a '92 1 ton 4wd 5 spd diesel that uses about a gallon of water per 10 miles of driving and has motor oil in the radiator but no water in the oil. could be a cracked head, blowen head gasket, bad oil cooler not for sure what to look for heer. any responses would be apreciated.

thanks Kyle

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the exhaust look like? Is the radiator "boiling over"? What does the coolant smell like? How does it run? That gallon of water has to go somewhere whether it is out the pipe or on the ground it is going somewhere.

Oh and if you can please put your truck info in your sig, kinda like mine, that way we all know what you have without asking.

And welcome to the site!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
oil in the water, but no water in the oil sounds like a bum oil cooler. Cooling system is only 7 or 13 psi and oil system up to 70psi or so, the higher pressure will bleed through to the lower pressure side. If it were head gasket, the cooling system would become pressurized above that of the oil system

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the water is not going into the oil, it has to be going somewhere (just like smoking89IDI said). A gallon/10 miles is a lot! Oil cooler is possible, but why and where would you lose so much coolant? Does the exhaust smell like coolant? May also be a head gasket or worst of all cavitation on one of the cylinders.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If the water is not going into the oil, it has to be going somewhere (just like smoking89IDI said). A gallon/10 miles is a lot! Oil cooler is possible, but why and where would you lose so much coolant? Does the exhaust smell like coolant? May also be a head gasket or worst of all cavitation on one of the cylinders.

Heath

I'm thinking overflow bottle and out to the ground. It could be belching it going down the road and settling down while easing in to park

Kyle Dobias

Reaction score
Exhuast is blue but don't smell too much like antifreeze, its also tuff starting crainks quite a few times. it has sat for a couple years before i purchased. radiator is dry now half tempted to fill up with water and pressurize system with 10psi and remove glow plugs to see what comes out
Kyle

also how do i set up my profile?

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to "User CP" at the top under the banner, then click on "Edit Signature" on the menu to the left then you can add your info.

Since it sat for so long the rings are probably stuck which accounts for the smoke, if you can smell ANY antifreeze in the exhaust you are burning it but with the oil burning it may be difficult to smell it. I would refill the radiator and test at 13psi to check for external leaks first because if you break a tip off a plug your pretty much screwed and have to pull the heads anyway unless your inventive like some guys here. Also is there coolant in the overflow bottle?

Kyle Dobias

Reaction score
Don't rember whats in the overflow tank wont be able to see for a while pick-up is at my dads house about 40 miles away I work at a Case IH dealership 6 days a week, cant aford to drive that far and tractor pull on the week end if funds are avaliable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online