What tires are decent for mud, snow and towing?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Asked on FB got a few different suggestions, the firestone destination AT's were brought up a few times. I was thinking BFG AT's but have heard more negative than positive things lately. what do you all recommend for my CCLB 2WD dually? i'd like something that will get traction being 2WD in the snow, decent for if I get myself into a muddy road or field and wear like iron as I tow ALOT. the factory size recommends 215/85/16, which I have on the front. I have 235/85/16 on the rear which I like. saw the FDAT's only come as close as 235/75/16.. any recommendation on size too? thanks for the input! ;Sweet

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's on my truck, I never have any problems, and mine came with a 55k treadwear warranty, I've got about 18k on them and it doesn't show, of course, they were about $350/each once on the truck with everything.....

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to sure whats best for you but i had firestone destination a/ts on my truck, its non-dually, and they are horrible in any kind of mud and snow, could barely get out of grass in 4 wheel drive and no traction in any kind of snow, if i didnt have a limited slip rear end i would have been screwed

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to sure whats best for you but i had firestone destination a/ts on my truck, its non-dually, and they are horrible in any kind of mud and snow, could barely get out of grass in 4 wheel drive and no traction in any kind of snow, if i didnt have a limited slip rear end i would have been screwed

That's been my experience with any Firestones I have ever had.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to stick with an aggressive skinny tire for snow, not to aggressive for road obviously, but skinny is the key imo

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Firestone Transforce A/T's and have been very happy with them. I have around 60,000 on them and they still have some life left. Not sure how they do in mud, but are vary happy with them in rain and snow.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I will second the M55. Very good snow traction (deep snow and hard pack) pretty decent in the mud, and last long enough that you will be really tired of looking at them before they are completely worn out.

Right now I am running the toyo mud terrain. Very good traction tire, but not sure how they are going to last yet. I really dont think treadwear would hold out on a tow rig.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Cooper AT3/ATP's (ATP's are a discount tire thing, but are basically a AT3) seem to be doing well on our Excursion.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I will second the M55. Very good snow traction (deep snow and hard pack) pretty decent in the mud, and last long enough that you will be really tired of looking at them before they are completely worn out.

Right now I am running the toyo mud terrain. Very good traction tire, but not sure how they are going to last yet. I really dont think treadwear would hold out on a tow rig.

I hear that over and over on the M55's, maybe they don't handle hot weather? They didn't last anywhere near that long on a 93 Dodge, near stock power. Every other tire I ran on that lasted longer. Firestone AT's, Bridgestone revos, stock 235's, all out lasted the M55's. Pretty dissapointed since they were the most expensive choice!

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really happy with the cooper discoverer s/t that are on my pickup. I haven't noticed any ware since I got the pickup and they did fine in 2wd all winter.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a given for most of y'all, but make sure you get metal valve stems. I've had 2 tires with rubber valve stems blow out just sitting there.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have Firestone Transforce A/T's and have been very happy with them. I have around 60,000 on them and they still have some life left. Not sure how they do in mud, but are vary happy with them in rain and snow.

X2! Had real good luck with these also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel