What should I check on this 2500?

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I've been looking for a tow rig and I found a 94 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 12V Cummins and a 5 speed manual tranny. They're asking $1,250 for it.

Here's what's up with it though. It has 228,947 miles and some of the more recent miles were as a farm truck, so it's been "broken in":Q . It's missing the bed, rear bumper, it needs tires, paint, 1 battery (probably 2), the front axle seems to not be engaging (probably the CAD), and it won't shut off after the key is turned off. I think it's something in the fuel system that keeps feeding fuel maybe:confused: ? All things considered though, the engine runs great and I think the truck is worth checking out. I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I should check aside from the basics? Like checking the balljoints, wheel bearings, U-Joints, drive it and make sure it engages in 5th gear, anything else? I don't think there's anything I can check from what I've read to check on the killer pin in the front of the block withouth pulling it all apart.

I was also going to call the previous owner and ask him a few questions like how they drove it, how well it was maintained, if they had to re-tighten the 5th gear nut, and explain any of the problems that it has or may have. Anything else I should cover?

Thanks in advance for any help given and I'll see if I can get pictures of it by the weekend.;Sweet

youngcummins

Reaction score
that sounds like a good deal. The fuel shutoff solenoid has more than likely gone bad, like 150$. But the motor itself is worth about what he wants for the truck IMHO . Go for it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Dude the engine is worth that.

As stated the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid sounds like it's hanging up - you can either replace it or put in a throttle shut off cable (remove the electric one totally).

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. As promised, here's a LOT of pictures that I took while I was inspecting it the other day.
Outside:
You must be registered for see images attach

Under the hood:

Underneath:

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
More.
Is that a crank case vent tube hanging down there?

Are these the factory lift blocks? They look a little tall to me.

This one's jacked up as you can see. Either the center pin has been sheared off or somebody pulled the Ubolts and didn't line it up right.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
The last of them.

It seems to be pretty greasy as you can tell. I found out in my inspection that the wheel bearings and balljoints seem to be solid, the front drive shaft needs replaced or rebuilt (I think we have one in the junkyard), one of the front suspension links needs to be replaced (I know we have one), and I was able to get it into 5th gear, so it seems to be good. I still need to call the previous owner though and ask him some questions about it.

I also noticed that on startup it took a lot of cranking and I finally got it to fire up by stomping the accelerator down till it fired. It was shooting white smoke out of the exhaust for a while when it was warming up too, then it turned into just a little bit of black smoke when I hit the gas. So maybe the glow plugs are going bad on it?

So far, what do you guys think about it? I really appreciate any help given.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

youngcummins

Reaction score
cummins do not have any glow plugs. they have a heater coil on the intake horn.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
cummins do not have any glow plugs. they have a heater coil on the intake horn.

Oh, well then do you think that the heater coil may be going bad or is that just normal behavior for the cummins?:confused:
Also, it was kind of chilly that morning if that matters at all.

Sorry, I probably should mention that I'm fairly new to diesels but I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can.:Q

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
sounds like an air leak then. I know when mine was giving me a bit of complaints when starting I had a fuel line that leaking.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I was finally able to contact the previous owner of the truck. Here's what he had to say.

It was one of a 7 truck fleet that was maintained by his mechanic. It started giving him fits and not wanting to start very well on cold mornings (like it was doing with me) during the last few months that he owned it. It's been unable to shut down for the past 2 years so he just popped the clutch to kill it. It has a nearly new transfer case in it now along with a few parts that were replaced in the front end a bit ago. It had some radio equipment in it that drained the batteries sometimes, so the batteries in it are weak. And he hasn't ever had to re-tighten the 5th gear nut in the tranny in the 8 years and 140,000 miles that he's had it:confused: .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online