What Makes an E4OD not move?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's frigging awesome!!!! yeah,the filter is the "pickup" for the fluid like in a gas tank.without that,she can't pull up the fluid.oh what a nice easy fix! very cool!
(remember to use the 4wd filter for the 4r100 pan)
merry christmas.;Sweet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions guys. I have good news. It all works great right now! I need to adjust my FIPL back down. 1.2V-4.39 gets my shifts a bit too late to the point it doesn't want to shift out of 2nd and 3rd with "normal" driving cause I'm not giving it enough pedal ;Sweet If I get in it it shifts flawlessly. I think the new pump/injectors and other stuff I've done has gotten me a bit more oomph. Triple disk billet converter lockup is awesome and is indeed like another crisp shift. I'm digging it. I put on a stock 7.3 Powerstroke Super Duty cooler (those guys all go swap to the huge 6.0 coolers) on and I'm running about 80 degrees above ambient. It was 100 above ambient with my previous cooler so we made improvement there too.

Oh, you want to know what I did wrong to not have any front pump action?

I forgot to throw the filter back in.

I was all prepped to drop the trans. Drove 90 minutes to a trans store on friday afternoon to get a new front pump, went and bought a transmission jack, warned y girlfirend of the potentially impending mood/strain, and was picking up the garage around the truck when I saw the old E4OD pan (I put on a 4r100 pan w/ drain plug). In the old pan, there was the filter I was supposed to pop back up in there.

Slightly relieved but still on pins N needles, I took my trans pan back off, observed the lack of a filter, remedied that, re-installed pan and filled the trans back up, and from then on out I've been smiling.

Thank you again for the suggestions, I felt prepared to drop the trans and get after it. You guys (graciously) assumed I wasn't a moron and installed a filter so the pump could actually pickup the ATF. Poor assumption LOLLOL:rotflmao;Sweet

Luckly I figured this out before I pulled the trans. That would've been insult on top of injury:mad:

Oops.LOL No filter will is a minor issue.:D
Least its not an expensive repair.;Sweet

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
You woulda caught it on this diagnostic step too, FWIW. Glad you got it back up!

But would I? I would've confirmed the pump wasn't pumping... And likely would've pulled the trans to inspect.

Just glad I saw that filter laying there!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, true... we really need an a-z troubleshooting guide on these E4ODs.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you put the original filter back in you may still have a problem if it drops down out on the road. The 4R100 4wd pan is deeper and takes the longer neck filter that seats on the bottom of the pan. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online