What kind, and How much?

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Hi all.. I need to know how much oil, and antifreeze to put in after draining the truck dry. Also I need to know which of each kind is acceptable.

truck is an 87 6.9

15-40 oil, and a filter and a good yet cheap freeze.

thanks guys :)

tractorman86

Reaction score
you'll need about 10-11 qts of engine oil. rotella is good if you keep up on your oil changes and drive it often or dello 400 IIRC valvoline blue was ok too

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
get the motorcraft power stroke oil filter, i run the rotella 15 40. for antifreeze get something low silicate and add scas or dcas or just get heavy duty coolent that meets cat ec1 standards.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you knew this, but you can't use cheap run if the mill coolant in diesel engines. You need to use a supplimently coolant additive (usually called SCA) that prevents erosion of the cylinder walls on the water jacket side.

You can even go to crappy tire and get "diesel coolant" and it will already be precharged with the correct amount of additive. Your other option is to go some place like NAPA and get HD coolant AND the SCA additive with testing strips to charge the SCAs manually.

One of those nuisances with diesels, but if you don't keep on top of it, the engine can turn into a nice boat anchor.