What is the best soundinng diesel in a small truck? all done up or stock.

Reaction score
My wife would like to thank all of you for kicking off yet another session of me listening to YouTube diesel clips for hours on end.

The Detroit 2-strokes are *******', but I think it'd get old after a while. But if it was some kind of kooky ride or rat rod that got limited road time, definitely.

But, honestly, I don't think you can beat the Cummins. Something about an inline that sounds so "purpose-built" and utilitarian. I like inlines in old pickups and Jeeps for the same reason.

Mike

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Love the Detroit's, personally think a built 6.0 is hard to beat sound wise. The idi's sing a sweet tune, not fond of the Cummins drone tone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
For trucks with factory placed diesels; these are my opinion on the best sounding:

For domestic built stuff, I favor the 6.2l
For import, any Toyota, Izuzu or Perkins equipped rig can't be beat.

For engines in general, I love the sound of the old Murphy Diesels. Or a Perkins 6.354. The rocky mountain humming birds (Detroits) sound cool for a while but I have had to log many hours on them and I now i'd really perfer to run a 4 stroke. Currently, I often operate a 1970 Hayes HDX at work with a 12v-71 or 92??? And ear plugs are a must.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Ive got an 03 F250 6.0 4" turbo back exhaust.... the whistle is unbelievable... best whistle out there IMO

those dueces do sound nice....

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A member on here has the 2 best sounding trucks out there, 03 6.0 6speed with straight pipe, and a turbo 85 6.9 with stacks. The 85 sounds WAY better stacked than with the single 4" straight it had on it when I got it.

Can't deny the 8V92 Detroit rumble, but like others have said, it gets old. 24 valve Cummins sounds pretty darn tough as well, but again, can get on your nerves.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 valve with the Donaldson M100580 muffler.That part # has the best tone.I put one on my commonrail(they are off of a Freightliner c cab) will make anything sound good.But also very quiet in the cab and neighbor friendly