What do you add to your fuel?

Orpackrat

Reaction score
I've run ATF, 2-Stroke Oil, and though not IDI's my boss likes to run in his Powerstrokes a special mix of Gas and Vegetable Oil that I refine in a processing plant I built. That mix ends up being about 50% vegetable oil burned in the trucks and the trucks actually run better on the mix with a bit more power than running diesel (low end acceleration on diesel towing heavy the straight diesel is slow and blows smoke, running the blend less smoke and more power).

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The referenced study shows that biodiesel is best for lubricity, hence IP health and long life. I use a quart of 2 stroke oil in each tank with a fill up, just to make me feel good. If I find a stable source for bio, I'll change to that. If I find a stable source for veg. oil, maybe I'll blend that, too.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading that study it seems like the best blend is 2% bio with the proper amount of standyene performance formula. Reason for the performance formula, after reading the research, is that it is the highest rated cetane-boost, demulsifier, and alcohol free product that is conducive to a blend of bio. Though I wish they did a wvo portion; kinda of curious on how wvo or bio blend would compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The referenced study shows that biodiesel is best for lubricity, hence IP health and long life. I use a quart of 2 stroke oil in each tank with a fill up, just to make me feel good. If I find a stable source for bio, I'll change to that. If I find a stable source for veg. oil, maybe I'll blend that, too.

I've upgraded my return lines and o-rings and run B5 almost exclusively. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has plenty to chose from and is seldom cold enough to be a concern. This map seems to be pretty current:

http://www.biodiesel.org/using-biodiesel/finding-biodiesel/retail-locations/retail-map

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to run Lucas, switched to Stanadyne and noticed it definitely runs smoother. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that AutoZone carries Stanadyne Performance Formula, I thought I was going to have to order it.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please exsplain the added use of mixing gasoloine with diesel?

It is not done except in tiny quantities in very cold temperatures to avoid gelling and assure ignition.

I think the WMO guys use it as well to thin the WMO. They call it "RUG" for Regular Unleaded Gasoline. Old gas that is smelly is best, so they say.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So guys I'm new to WVO but I have a steady supply of used fry oil what is the best way to filter it and what should I mix with it before I pump it into my truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Year round, I add a quart of 2 stroke, a quart of ATF, and Standyne in my tank. And a couple of other chemicals mixed in a plain dark jug that really cleans things out and quiets stuff down.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is almost like asking what oil do you like best. I run the Opti-Lube XPD and that seems to work well. The truck is quieter and has slightly better power and mileage. I have also run the Stanadyne Performance Formula and the truck seems to run well on that too. Every once in while I will run DieselKleen with the idea that maybe that helps keep things cleaned up a little better. I also fill the filter with DieselKleen when changing it and then restart the truck, run it for a little while and then shut id down so the DK sits in the pump/lines over night. I am of the opinion that running some kind of an additive to help with lubricity in these trucks is a good idea and will pay off in the end by making the pump/injectors live longer. Only time will tell, but the fact that the truck runs quieter and has a little more power/mileage makes the added cost "seem" worth it to me.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i stopped running any of it.figured it was just cheaper to reman the ip every 100k.it stings enough every fill up.im all done pouring salt on the wound lol.the fuel works as is for the modern diesels that make our db2's seem extremely basic.when i get poor fuel (which seems to happen at least once a year without fail) nothing iv tried cleans things up like a gallon of mercon 5.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
i stopped running any of it.figured it was just cheaper to reman the ip every 100k.it stings enough every fill up.im all done pouring salt on the wound lol.the fuel works as is for the modern diesels that make our db2's seem extremely basic.when i get poor fuel (which seems to happen at least once a year without fail) nothing iv tried cleans things up like a gallon of mercon 5.

Your in Maine, What do you run in the winter ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin