What do you add to your diesel when filling up?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I've heard some people add transmission fluid, some add oil. I'm using Lucas oil, but it's kind of expensive (about $10 the big bottle in Walmart). I would like to know what are you using. I've also heard that since they removed the sulphur some of the lubricant characteristics of diesel was also removed and IPs are suffering and their useful life is then shortened.
Thanks for your advice. Burt.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I use CRC Lubricity Improver. Get it from Baxter's for 7 bucks and use half in each tank. I know some people are using 100% biodiesel mixed around 1/20 with regular diesel. And then some other people are finding commercial big rig pumps that still dole out 500PPM sulfur diesel.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do a search for fuel additives and You'll find lots to read, there are good additives You can use for cheap guys like us.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I prefer Howes-I can tell the difference in how my truck runs with Howes.I froze up in Minnisots 1 night all it would do idle(just barley) a can of howes and a few minutes idiling -I was off and running. I also like to throw in some oil of some nature(prefer ATF)about 1 QT to 100 gal. Just my opinion.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I run Howes year round, the meaner power cleaner in the summer and Diesel Treat in the winter, and I do grab 500ppm fuel at the truck stops whenever I'm near one.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I've used ATF during the summer and I always ran Diesel Kleen in the winter when I lived in Central Oregon. The Diesel Kleen helps lubricate the fuel and preventsgelling in the freezing temps.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I add carboned up WMO.Haven't found anything else that changes Red to midnight black.....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I found some sulphur substitute at work, $5.99 a bottle and it treats 100 gallons. I grabbed 2 bottles and I should be able to treat 14 tankfuls. I just got it though and haven't had the oppurtunity to use it yet.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only does the new fuel lack lubricity, but it spells death on the material that O-rings and seals are made of in the older injection-pumps and fuel-systems.

For the first few months after the advent of ULSD, pump shops were in-undated with injection-pumps that were leaking like sieves.

On two separate engines, I had one leaking from around the throttle-shaft, another leaking at the KSB valve = drip-drip-drip- all the time the engine(s) was running.

I started mixing a MEASURED one-ounce per gallon Walmart brand TC-W3 two-cycle engine oil into the fuel and, within a few days, the leaks dried up.

In winter, along with the ounce/gallon two-cycle mix, I also add white-bottle Power-Service at the ratio of measured one-ounce per three-gallons fuel.

The secret to good fuel system maintenance is to be OBSESSIVE/COMPULSIVE about the use of fuel-treatments.

This "dump some in" maybe once every fourth fill-up business just doesn't cut it.

I have a bunch of long-necked plastic bottles that I pre-measure and carry my fuel-treatments in; some for 5-, 10-, 15-, and 20-gallon mixes, labeled for winter or summer use. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, a bunch of guys on one of the Dodge/Cummins forums paid a lab to perform extensive analysis on various popular and some less popular fuel-treatments, the plain old Walmart brand TC-W3 two-cycle oil at the recommended rate of ounce/gallon rated among the top three treatments for fuel lubricity.

Many of the most popular name-brand treatments ( I will not name them, but a lot of you guys swear by them ) that advertised added fuel lubricity proved to actually worsen the condition and their chemical make-up is nothing more than common paint-store variety petroleum-based thinners, such as toulene, naptha, and mineral spirits. ;Really

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Racor additive in everything we have diesel. Its way cheaper than stanadyne and treats by the cap full. Good stuff and goes along way.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Noticed an interesting effect when I added Powerservice to my deuces fuel tank.The filler has a removable strainer assembly about 3" in diameter and 12 inches long with a screen on the bottom.Well,I dumped the whole bottle in one time(the larger bottle at walfart but not the mega size) and watched as the fuel boiled like the stuff wasn't mixing but falling through to the bottom while the diesel was flowing up throught it.I have been meaning to test this in a glass bottle but if it did that then PS is useless cause you will get a sudden burst of pure PS then 50 gallons of Lubeless green Kerosene.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I add a quart of ATF at ever fill up.

Seems to improve mpg and makes the engine run smoother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle