What did everyone else do with their tax return

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I do taxes. Haven't filed mine yet this year.... it won't be too big, so I'll just make a car payment with it.

And the term is tax refund. Return is the 1040 you file.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is paying off 5 bills that have been haunting me each month, getting rid of those and picking up a powerstroke engine to swap in my truck

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to do my taxes yet and if I get a decent return, it will become new tires for my new truck!

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...And the term is tax refund....

Yep. And you only get one if you *paid too much to the IRS* to begin with. I can guarantee you that what I do with my money will be better for me than what they do with it. I always want to pay a little every year at tax time. That way I give them exactly what is owed and not a penny more. The interesting thing is that, if I understand it correctly, the IRS will pay you interest on the "refund"(giving you back the "extra" they have been holding during the year). But this interest is counted as income, which must be reported and, of course, taxed. Pretty poor investment.

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the group that wants to have their taxes work out where I either get nothing back or I owe very little. There are too many times during the year that I want to buy something, not just in Feb. or March. I try and do as much pre tax as I can at work (457B, max out Flex Spending Accounts, etc..) I actually adjust my W-4 throughout the year depending on overtime, so it works out to benefit me and not a bunch of greedy politicians. The IRS can be very difficult to deal with, when my father in law passed away several years ago, they came after my wife for the taxes he owed that year (she was the oldest child and next of kin). When I realized he hadn't filed from the year before and should be getting enough back to pay what he owed then some, they said with out a will stating her as the executor they couldn't issue us a check. No thanks I'll hang on to MY money.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not very responsible with my money so the little bit extra i pay over 12months is like a savings account for me. Even though it doesnt draw interest over the year i would still rather them hold it than me spend it on some little toy that looks neat at the time but will never again get used or played with

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the group that wants to have their taxes work out where I either get nothing back or I owe very little. There are too many times during the year that I want to buy something, not just in Feb. or March. I try and do as much pre tax as I can at work (457B, max out Flex Spending Accounts, etc..) I actually adjust my W-4 throughout the year depending on overtime, so it works out to benefit me and not a bunch of greedy politicians. The IRS can be very difficult to deal with, when my father in law passed away several years ago, they came after my wife for the taxes he owed that year (she was the oldest child and next of kin). When I realized he hadn't filed from the year before and should be getting enough back to pay what he owed then some, they said with out a will stating her as the executor they couldn't issue us a check. No thanks I'll hang on to MY money.

|stupid, or in this case a fart smeller, i mean smart feller:D this is how i do it as well. although i do not adjust my withholdings during the year based on overtime. that is dedication. actually this year i should get a refund for the first time in years, because we had a baby, and i didnt adjust my forms yet:backoff been too busy. but next year it will be right around zero either way, just where i like it. let me take care of MY money the way i see fit, the government already wastes too much as it is.

I am not very responsible with my money so the little bit extra i pay over 12months is like a savings account for me. Even though it doesnt draw interest over the year i would still rather them hold it than me spend it on some little toy that looks neat at the time but will never again get used or played with

least you are honest.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yip I like it so at the end of the year between state and federal everything equals out to about zero. We may get a total refund of 500 bucks. I do try to stay on the refund side vs the pay-in side at the end of the year.