what are normal exhaust gas temps for normal driving?

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed my gauge, the probe is between cylinders 6-8 in the exhaust manifold.
cold idle is 200 deg. after driving and idling at a light its 250-300. driving on
the highway, steady speed of 70, no load really, i'm at 600 deg. give it fuel
to pass someone on an uphill grade it goes up to around 800. hard pull on a
steep hill i saw 900 deg. Long grade, increasingly steep, maintaining 70-72 mph
with fuel pedal about 3/4 to the floor saw 1000 at the crest, then dropped as soon
as i crested the hill. This is all with an empty bed.
Do these sound normal/safe? I know 1200 deg is tops for suspended driving.
I do have 4 BMW 2oo2s i need to tow home, no big grades or anything to pull tho.
So i want to be sure i'm not gonna melt anything or mess anything up. A 2oo2 one
a dual axle trailer should be around 4k lbs at the most.
No fuel mods on the truck, minimal intake mods and a dynomax muffler. So no real
mods to speak of.
Sound safe?
thanks!

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
That sounds about normal, specially for an N/A. Most people consider 1100 to be the max safe temp, and then only for moments. I wouldn't flinch at 900-1k for towing temps. Just remember not to push it too hard, or lug it. If your temps are getting up there, slow down a bit, and drop a gear. The increased revs will drop your EGT.

But without major hills, and that set of 4.10's you shouldn't have any problem with a measly 4-5k trailer.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Your temps sound about right. I have a 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust. I would say I run about a 100 deg lower than you at speeds and towing. I need to flog it on a grade with some weight behind me to see 1100 degrees. I have only been able to get to 1200 once, not that I am looking to see that kind of temps again.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was something I mean to ask about. I won't be towing with od on to prevent lugging. My main concern was seeing 1000deg for just a second with no weight in the truck. I was in overdrive with a lot of pedal so I guess that would cause that.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything seems okay to me. It is always a good idea to take the o/d off when towing heavy. It is easier on the engine, keeps transmission cooler, keeps the coolant flowing faster, and keeps EGT's lower when the engine is at a higher rpm.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
temps are good. every body will have different temps b/c every body has a different IP.

lock out o/d when your towing. MUCH easier on the trans. overdrive is meant for "economy" not towing or working hard.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
That was something I mean to ask about. I won't be towing with od on to prevent lugging. My main concern was seeing 1000deg for just a second with no weight in the truck. I was in overdrive with a lot of pedal so I guess that would cause that.

OD with lossa pedal will indeed cause that.

Towing with/without OD is somewhat of a debate. It's not going to hurt at all to run the whole trip with the OD locked out. But you will use more fuel. Personally if I'm on flatland with a light load (and I consider 5k pretty light) I would let it go into OD.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those sound like good temps to me too. Just remember the basic rule; when EGT go up, gear down. Airflow is what cools you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online