What about Fram fuel filters?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that the Orange can of Doom oil filters ain't the greatest and I wont use them. But I skored some Fram fuel filters for my 6.9L. Are these any good? Seem very heavy and well built unlike the oil filters.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They do make a few performance and commercial and marine fuel filters that are actually pretty good, they are usually drop in canister filters

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
They are well made, except for the oil by pass valve.

It's made of cardboard, and without regular oil changes, or if you so happen to get an older filter off the shelf, on some rare cases i've heard the cardboard breaks up and ends up in your engine, clogging small oil passages and oil pump pick up screen.

When I started finding out about these stories, I started buying several different filter brands, and I had used them, I let them drain overnight, and cut 'em open to see how there made.

So far, the best designed one is the Motorcraft one, fallowed by Fleetguard one.

I was happy about that to, cause i've always ran either Motorcraft or Wix on my gassers, and nothing but Fleetguards on my IDI's.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I ran nothing but Fram fuel filters on my idi for years. Then I switched to Motorcraft shortly after I installed Moose Pump number 2 back in 2009. They are expensive but quality usually is costly.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Havnt heard anything bad about the Fram fuel filters, I will admit the one on my truck atm is ******* fuel but thats because it has a hole for the sensor but no sensor (silly PO) so its just plugged with a bolt and JB weld...while didnt last

They are well made, except for the oil by pass valve.

It's made of cardboard, and without regular oil changes, or if you so happen to get an older filter off the shelf, on some rare cases i've heard the cardboard breaks up and ends up in your engine, clogging small oil passages and oil pump pick up screen.

When I started finding out about these stories, I started buying several different filter brands, and I had used them, I let them drain overnight, and cut 'em open to see how there made.

So far, the best designed one is the Motorcraft one, fallowed by Fleetguard one.

I was happy about that to, cause i've always ran either Motorcraft or Wix on my gassers, and nothing but Fleetguards on my IDI's.

Fram oils haave also been known for blowing off the mounting bolt (threads coming off essentially) and after using almost exclusivly Fleetguards at work IMO there almost as bad (never cut them open though) in a couple year span Ive had probbly 2 dozen that were bad straight out of the box (including but not limited to, no threads on the filter, internals loose in filter, badly cut/wrong threads)

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
After reading some of the stories about the filters, I have the long Fram oil filter on my truck right now and the Fram fuel filter also and have not had any issues but I will be replacing them at the next service with Motorcraft or possibly Donaldson.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
I've always ran Baldwin filters on all my vehicles, diesel and gas.... Yea there expensive but worth it to me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online