Well today was a really sad day, Frame horn is bent

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees Al... Thats a well painted picture of a horrible state run insurance company.. sounds like pockets are filling with money and owners are getting butt ***** with sand in the vasolene... I hope towcat chimes in on this... He owns a body shop down here and will know how it works in cali. I think that rig could be driven anywhere safely. Might pull some but sure is repairable easy too. Here I was thinking all kinds of body damage from the accident.. But it looks simple easy repair.. Just getting around the crroks up there is whats going to be the mine field...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Man, that's one truck on here that I really enjoy taking a look at from time to time. Good luck, I hope it gets returned to its former glory.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sucks about the Canadian system.... $5,500 dollars worth of damage, I just paid my $250 dollar deductible, two weeks at the body shop and now you cant even tell it happened. Frame horn bent, and spring bent. Wasn't totaled or even close. ***** lost it on ice and hit the front of me.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dads 08 F250 4x4 SCLB 5.4L with a flat bed got hit by a semi that decided to pass in a no passing zone at an intersection. The truck had 800 miles on it and had just gotten out of the shop from getting the bed installed. The semi (rock hauler over loaded at 92K) hit the Driverside bed bending the deck (3/8" thick), ripped both leaf spring loose, bent both wheels, broke the driver side axle, bent the frame in 5 places and shifted the driverside frame rail forward 3". THEY DID NOT TOTAL THE DAMN THING! It spent 3 months between 6 frame shops getting blown apart and put back together until it passed our frame square measurements. Since then he has installed a new rear driveshaft, replaced the motor mounts, and both exhaust manifolds.

Now that is a totally different situation but a frame can be straightened. That truck has 180K on it now and gets the **** worked out of it.

Thats too good looking of a truck to be scrapped.

My 00 has been salvaged twice. First from a front end collision (didnt bend frame) second from THE engine fire. Waiting to get repaired from the most recent one. Truck looks mint with only 45K on it...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree. PLEASE don't let the insurance company total it. I'm sure you're like everyone else on here and place the value of your truck at WAY more than the "book value". You'll kick yourself for years if you lose it. I had to fight with my insurance company on my motorcycle for two years because they wanted to total it. It's just an old 1993 Ninja, but it means more to me than the $900 they wanted to give me for it. It took so long because they said that they had never had anyone turn down a settlement before. Well now they have! Fight to keep what's yours!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canadian insurance is a completely different beast that what is available in the US.

That is especially true here in British Columbia where all vehicle insurance for your basic liability is done through a gov't owned insurance company.

We can add different coverage from private insurance companies but your basic license and liability are handled through ICBC Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.

When you have an accident in BC you make a claim and go to the ICBC adjustment center for an observation. They determine I reiterate THEY determine if your vehicle is worthy of being repaired or if it should be written off. If they write it off, they have two modes of write off. SALVAGE and REBUILDER. Salvage takes to vehicle off the road forever, they put it up for auction to salvage companies/auto-wreckers and this subsequently makes the truck a scrap parts truck only and cannot ever be rebuilt and registered on the road. Rebuilder status takes the vehicle off the road, and places it up for auction to both salvage/auto-wreckers and to certified re-builders, AKA auto body shops whom rebuild the vehicle, have it inspected and then can resell the vehicle as a road worthy vehicle.

The private side of insurance is for things like fire, theft, glass, or other incidentals.

If the ICBC person decides your vehicle is ok for repair, you then have the right to take it to a shop for repair. You can shop around but in all honesty it's a bit of a farce....I know and understand this side of it too and let me say, it's a complex situation where they the body shops, RAKE in cash from ICBC which just hurts the people whom have to pay!

If you elect NOT to take your vehicle in for the ICBC adjuster to view, and make a claim for repair, then you can indeed have the truck repaired on YOUR DIME! This is why I was boldy saying DO NOT GO to ICBC or he would loose his truck!

Now you wonder why do we have insurance....LOL one word....Liability is about it!

Anyway hope this helps those that do not know the system here how it works and please, if you do not know the system don't offer advice as it could invariably cause someone to loose a vehicle.

JM2CW

Al

EDIT

As for getting the value of the vehicle...YOU GET WHAT ICBC says you get and if you have winch or other add ons, I would strongly suggest removing them...they pay diddly for that, unless you have a private ins which may pay more or a specified peril with additional coverage.

Regardless, they really don't give you much.

As mentioned in this thread a certified appraisal or even better TWO of them are an investment in your future for your vehicle if it's truly a very well maintained ride......

Just sayin...CYA

Al

thats why we wont let canada be part of the united states.
in all honestly if your going to keep your truck replace the frame, after steel is bent its weak, will always be bent, and for the best repair its better to just replace the frame and go on. and honestly, replacing the frame isnt all that big of a deal, if done in stages.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photo photo photo all yer work....keep receipts and I am apparently proven WRONG and happily I am glad I am on this one...

He's getting his truck fixed and he had a great adjuster .....luck is all I can say...this is unheard of in BC I've deal with this ***** lots...and it is the very first time I've heard of a truck this old with bent frame by steering box. ...being repaired, and not written off!

I am glad to be proven wrong on this one boys! Very very happy to be wrong!

He has a great story to tell about it ;)

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
well GREAT NEW! My truck went in to ICBC today to get adjusted and checked over, it is not a write off. It goes into the Shop on Tuesday morning at 830 to get fixed. Total estimated damage is about 1300.00. Includes the frame straightening, new front bumper, and a wheel alignment. The downfall is I am at fault for the accident which is the least of my worries. I pay my 300.00 deductable and the vehicles get fixed. The adjuster is familiar with the truck from seeing it around the small town and the guy has dealt with my parents incident a year ago and my sister about 2 months ago. and the shops owner that is doing the work, is a really close family friend. so i will try and get him to take process pictures but no promises on that. when i went into the ICBC center i brought with me over 5500.00 in recipts and pictures of my cab of frame restoration i did last winter and all the shows ive won awards at and showed everthing to them. Least to say i was complimented on such a beautiful truck and how well maintained and clean it is. I am really excited to be able to drive it again in less then a week, really cannt wait. throughout typing this post i pretty much have a big smile on! and am so happy my baby will roll again. as all my friends say its my "PORTUGESE PRINCESS" :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is going in prepared ....I've never heard of this ever...in 15 years of dealing with icbc on a old truck....one luck sob...better yet..one well prepared sob pays off!

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
sorry about my run on sentences and spelling errors, im just extremly excited. i know what i wanted to say but my fingers were going to fast and not putting in what i wanted them to lol

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
How were you at fault? I have a hard time visualizing the accident based on your initial description.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Thats really great news.. Another fine truck is kept off the scrap heap... From the very first post your words telling us some old woman decided not to turn in front of you and she hit you.... Well.... My first thoughts were the accident was your fault for "turning into on coming traffic". Glad but sad to learn it was your fault but you saved your truvk by jumping on the granade... Please do try to get some pics of the repairs. Ya know how we like pics...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online