Well today was a really sad day, Frame horn is bent

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Well as the title says my front left frame is bent infront of where the power steering gear box bolts in. I was mid turn and a lady decided she wasnt going to stop and drove into my front end hit mostly my front left wheel. bumper is tweaked slightly and ya the frame horn got pulled down where my shakel reversal bolts in. everyone that has seen it old me the insurance company will write it off due to the little bend in the frame. fingers crossed that wont happen. but center to center the left front wheel is 4" closer to the rear then the pass side and the frame appears to be down about a 3/4" and throught that big of an area its a big notice. i hope its fixable. im just goin to photobucket and ill upload some photos momentarely.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It can b fixed but the cost is the factor here. Finding another frame is the best way to do this unless you know someone in the frame straightening business.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can totally say witn 100% confidence that the truck will be written off and for SALVAGE only. The only way to avoid this is to NOT put an insurance claim in take it to a shop that can straighten frame get a quote and have the lady pay for it herself instead of against insurance.

I've dealt with ICBC with salvage for some time in autowrecking and fully understand how it works. DO"NT go to ICBC

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Al knows this angle well. Might want to investigate it more.. Information can't hurt you.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most anything can be straightened. Sounds to me like it fixable. Yeah the problem is these trucks aren't worth a ton of money and if they get hit they get totalled really quick. If it was me see what they settle for. Keep the truck and hire a shop to straighten it out for you.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the ins company totals your truck, and they will, BUY IT BACK.

Take it to a body shop with a frame rack and have the frame straightened with the remainder of the ins money.

Hit up a JY for a bumper/fender/liner.

Shop here charges a minumum of 3 hours for any frame job. 1 hour set up, 1 hour tear down, 1 hour PER PULL. So if it takes say 3 pulls, thats 5 hours labor. at 65 bucks an hour. Not as bad as most people think, but dependin on your insurance and the age of your truck, they may value it at 4000 and say the total repair is 2100. 50%+ of vehicle value is an automatic total.

Sometimes you can talk to the appraiser when they go over the estimate and tell them you ONLY want the frame fixed if it comes down to being totaled rather then fixed. They will require you to call them and have the appraiser come check out the vehicle after you fix the other damage (so you cant report it on another accident down the road)

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

notice this pic the shock is pushed to the rear and the front bumper isnt bent its pulled down from where the frame is pulled down.

in this one you can see the rear of the leaf spring pivot is pushed back and the two big bolts that go through the hanger and the leaf should be straight above each other.

my front lower valance is normally about a half an inch away from the tire and now there is about 4 inches and from center front hub to center rear hub is 4 1/4" shorter then the passenger side.

and not even a scratch as far as body damage goes. and i wish ICBC wasnt such a stealing rip off of a corperation, its a joke. this thing has more time and money put in it then most peoples new vehicles and theyd rather just toss it for scrap. if they say its a write off ill fix it my self. i cannt and wont be told that i can drive my truck again ******** crooks! heres to hopin i can get
"SIR ' BOUNCE' A LOT" fixed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LET me say this again.

I am 100 % certain that the truck will be written off...AS SALVAGE ONLY. That means it cannot be repaired and re certified road worthy.

The only way to deal with this is to have her pay out of pocket or you take the hit financially on this one!

Any bend in a frame near the steering is automatic write off and salvage only. It is not written of as rebuilder....it's SCRAP!!!!!!

Even if you could buy it back, you could never rebuild it. You would need a whole new frame, and then have to deal with certification and such and get issued a new VIN as the cab vin was written off as SALVAGE! YOU CANNOT REBUILD IT!!!!

The only caveat to the above sentence is if that vehicle was say 2010 maybe or newer! Then it may not be written off.

ICBC has an unknown policy (some say unoficcial) to write off any vehcile 7 years old or older! Evern notice a say 10 year old vehicle being repaired in body shops etc...NOT USUALLY only privately!

Please head my warning go see a frame shop first DO NOT CONTACT ICBC ABOUT THIS IF YOU CAN HELP IT!!!!!

Auto wrecking has proven educational!

Not sure if I said it but when this gets written off as SALVAGE only, you are history, that cannot be rebuilt!

sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but I know this industry very intamately.

Just sayin

Al

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
not cool ill pay to have it fixed myself then screw icbc might as well pink slip everything considering having full insurance is no benifit

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your bad luck. Just for the record: that is totally repairable by a noteworthy shop. I don't know how things work up there, but down here if you want your rig fixed, you can always take the insurance money, buy the wreck back and have it repaired. I would suggest telling your insurance company you want the truck repaired and see what they tell you. Sounds like things are definitely different up there in Canadia, but I'd ask lots of questions and do your research.

Sorry to hear for your mess, but we'll all cross our fingers for you down here as that's a great looking rig that deserves to get back on the road.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jo, about 6 years ago someone head on clipped the drivers side of my dads 88 premier....that thing was friggin mint anyway he had comprehensive or w.e its called and icbc wrote it off and gave him 500$.......bottom line, theres a reason I only have basic on my truck. Even if it was stolen and I had full insurance Id prob get 500$. I to am not a fan of those scam artists that are a 'nonprofit' organization /rant

Anyway sorry to hear about all this man, hope all goes well

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
round here just getting an estimate on the damage will NOT total a vehicle! but at our shop rates you are looking at around $400 bucks in frame work there.

Also dont know how things work up there but you SHOULD get fair market value on your totaled vehicle. Hell i had similar damage on my bronco back in 09 or so, bronco was 20 years old at that point, it got totaled, bought it back, think they gave me $3300, bought it back for $1050 (what ins company said scrap value was) and then had a shop do the repairs to the frame. mine was bent IN not DOWN but same principle.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has invested time and money in their truck to make its value higher, should have it appraised. Everyone reading this that has not done so should arrange to do it asap. If you don't, good luck on getting anything other than book value.

Not sure how it works in Canada, but in Texas you are not forced to sell your truck. I have kept vehicles that they wanted totaled and I negotiated a deal where I got the value of the car and kept it. No transfer of title, no salvage title. A wreck would come up on carfax, but nothing else.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canadian insurance is a completely different beast that what is available in the US.

That is especially true here in British Columbia where all vehicle insurance for your basic liability is done through a gov't owned insurance company.

We can add different coverage from private insurance companies but your basic license and liability are handled through ICBC Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.

When you have an accident in BC you make a claim and go to the ICBC adjustment center for an observation. They determine I reiterate THEY determine if your vehicle is worthy of being repaired or if it should be written off. If they write it off, they have two modes of write off. SALVAGE and REBUILDER. Salvage takes to vehicle off the road forever, they put it up for auction to salvage companies/auto-wreckers and this subsequently makes the truck a scrap parts truck only and cannot ever be rebuilt and registered on the road. Rebuilder status takes the vehicle off the road, and places it up for auction to both salvage/auto-wreckers and to certified re-builders, AKA auto body shops whom rebuild the vehicle, have it inspected and then can resell the vehicle as a road worthy vehicle.

The private side of insurance is for things like fire, theft, glass, or other incidentals.

If the ICBC person decides your vehicle is ok for repair, you then have the right to take it to a shop for repair. You can shop around but in all honesty it's a bit of a farce....I know and understand this side of it too and let me say, it's a complex situation where they the body shops, RAKE in cash from ICBC which just hurts the people whom have to pay!

If you elect NOT to take your vehicle in for the ICBC adjuster to view, and make a claim for repair, then you can indeed have the truck repaired on YOUR DIME! This is why I was boldy saying DO NOT GO to ICBC or he would loose his truck!

Now you wonder why do we have insurance....LOL one word....Liability is about it!

Anyway hope this helps those that do not know the system here how it works and please, if you do not know the system don't offer advice as it could invariably cause someone to loose a vehicle.

JM2CW

Al

EDIT

As for getting the value of the vehicle...YOU GET WHAT ICBC says you get and if you have winch or other add ons, I would strongly suggest removing them...they pay diddly for that, unless you have a private ins which may pay more or a specified peril with additional coverage.

Regardless, they really don't give you much.

As mentioned in this thread a certified appraisal or even better TWO of them are an investment in your future for your vehicle if it's truly a very well maintained ride......

Just sayin...CYA

Al

Last edited: