Well, cant say I havent tried....

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
So I am really down about the van right now.

Late last fall, I bought a set of Beru's from Mel.

Things worked fine till it got really cold - Then it wouldnt start - it would try to kick, but it seemed like only two or three cylinders were hitting.

So I would plug in at home - cannot plug in at work - but for the most part I could get it to start at work - I drive it alot for work so its usually only sitting an hour or two at a time..

then the GPC died - so out comes the push button - hold for 10-12 seconds - still wont start over nite - have to plug it in. But I am mobile.

Then it stops starting at work - have to bring out the crack in a can - all glow plugs are lighting - just only get 2 or three cylinders to hit - wont pop.

but by now its spring - and I dont need the crack in a can....for awhile.....then the block heater dies - crap.

OK - new heater - but this is ridiculous - I have the right GP's I have a good pump and while my injectors are used - I know where they came form and they worked ok in the other rig......hmmmmm. Shouldnt need the block heater when its 50 degrees.....

Now the Beru's are dead - ALL of them....guess too many repeated 10 second push button cycles killed em.

Well low and behold a friend of mine bought a pop tester. Tested the injectors and when they are cold its like a faucet - for 6 of them - two seem fine............well that explains it.
COld injectors- 6 arent spraying they are dumping - and two - the two I could hear trying to catch are working.

Crap what a journey I built for myself. ( all of this is on diesel by the way - I only run the waste when the engine is warm.)

Ive got so many other things going on with the van right now - Ive got a trac lock problem in the D60, just put new u joints in, vac pump just died, both fuel senders are dead, power steer box leaks from out put seal and I now need a return line kit, and ive got a big trip planned at the end of June....... I still dont have my inside WMP tank and filters in.....UGH I need about 40 hours in a day......

So - to sum it up - if your IDI doesnt start cold and your GP's are working and your compression is good (mine is about 390-400 PSI on my gage) and your cranking speed is good, think about pop testing or swapping out injectors.

My former truck always ran fine even with DOUBLE the miles on it compared to the van - must be the econoline curse.... :)

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
From what I understand bad injectors and/or messed up timing can damage the glow plugs. Maybe that's what burned em up.

My 10 year old berus started up my econoline engine first try after a two day cold soak at around 30-40F last winter. I use push button for 7-8 seconds.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So - to sum it up - if your IDI doesnt start cold and your GP's are working and your compression is good (mine is about 390-400 PSI on my gage) and your cranking speed is good, think about pop testing or swapping out injectors.

Well said! I don't think many people think about the injectors when trying to resolve cold hard start issues. I have seen this issue posted in other threads, but it bears remembering for those of us living in the COLD!

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Sorry I should've stated that I did time the engine last summer. Pretty sure I burned them out trying to get the dang thing to start.

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a weird truck. It starts easily even without glow plugs unless its 40 or below. Then 5 seconds and its running.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must have awesome compression and an easily warmed block

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online