Well bought one finally!

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Got a really nice 94 ext. dually really cheap! Question is who has done what to them and seen what type of HP? Guys give a detailed list if at all possible! Who has changed internals as well as the other things!

Andy

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've got a '93 w/mechanical injection, so what I have to say doesn't apply in all cases, but here's what I've done to mine: At one point it had 18:1 compression pistons in it,(stock is upwards of 21:1) fuel rate maxed out on stock pump, different cam, Holset turbo, intercooler, cooling upgrades and modifications from a '97 model year 6.5 along w/duramax cooling fan, and a few others that I'm sure I'm leaving out but can't remember at the moment. After all that it would run right with a '97 HO Dodge Cummins that was stock... That should give you and idea of the power. At this point I was lacking fuel and needed to upgrade to a marine injection pump. I could only get EGT's to around 1050 with that setup. I should add that this was without the 18:1 pistons and with the stock ones. It currently sets in a pile of parts in my shop waiting to be repowered with a cheap 6.2 I found... The crank and block are definately a weak point in these engine as is cooling. Even after all the cooling modifications availible whenever I towed a decent load it would heat up to 240+ degrees. Hope this is what you were looking for, if ya need more insight let me know.

Justin

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin,

Did you ever dyno that rig?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Naw, I was going to make it to the tri-club dyno day earlier this year, but got really busy and then it blew up. It was just a lowly 6.5, but it ran damn well for one IMO...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it, my dad has a 95 with the 6.5L in it he uses for a farm truck. His I believe is totally stock but its a clean pickup and runs nice (reads..........gutless as all get out but gets 18 mpg).

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I got 18 mpg once, driving 55 mph in the flatlands... The 4:10 axles really kill economy. They do help the power department though.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Yeah that is what I am looking for! What type of cam were you running in that thing? I have a few ideas I am going to throw together to see what I can come up with! What is exactly the week point with the block? Does it give and twist or is it that thin walled? What all cooling mods did you do to it?

Thanks
Andy

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The cam was a regrind offered by a joint down in Georgia called The Diesel Depot. The weak part of the block is the main webbing. Cracks will form starting at the outer bolt hole and either go up the cyl wall or make a half moon and connect with the opposing hole and break completely out. There are girdle kits available as well as splayed main caps to correct the problem. The cooling mods consist of a higher flow water pump, dual thermostat housing, and a big composite fan off of a Duramax. I also had the radiator boiled out and was thinking of getting a 5 core unit instead of the stock 4 core. IMO if you tow much the cam is worth it, but the bad part is you have to practicly remove the heads to change it out...

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Well I'm going to get another truck here shortly that will be basically a toy and that is it! What kind of injectors were you running in it? What did they charge you for the cam? I have also heard of problems with the heads and valvetrain on these engine! Is the 6.2 block any better then the 6.5 block? Any info and help you can give me I would appreciate very much! Where can you find the girdles at? Also how about the head stud kit? I have thrown around the idea of seeing about porting and polishing the heads and maybe trying to O-ring the head and block! What type of charger was that on yours, a 35 or 40?

Thanks
Andy

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The injectors were stock 6.5 injectors, new with the rebuild though. IIRC, the cam was around $150 or so. If you like I can get you their number. the only problem I've had with the heads or valve train is the little plastic "buttons" that retain the rocker arms. There are upgraded units out there, I've seen them on ebay before. If the engine in your '94 is origional it is considered one of the best out there. The '599 casting number blocks were used from late '91 through '94. The current best is considered AMG Hummer's new "enhanced" block that has thicker mains and a higher nickled content in the block. These can be identified by a Navistar casting logo in the valley of the block. The only ones to stay away from are the late '96 to '00 blocks that have the '506 casting number. The other good blocks are the first 6.2's from late '81-'82. They had high nickle content, but the only identifying characteristic is they were the only ones painted red from the factory. The only place I know that sells girdle kits for these is a place called DSG out of Canada. The splayed mains can be had from Kennedy diesel in WI, but I've heard a lot of negatives about his service. ARP makes stud kit for these motors, main studs, head studs, and I think even upgraded rod studs. I would most likely leave the heads alone, maybe polish them up, but leave it at that. They are prone to cracking somewhat, I wouldn't want to increase that risk. The main restriction in the system is the precups in the head anyways. I've thought about porting the holes in them out, but never done it yet. I've also thought about o-ringing the head, but once again haven't got to it yet. Origionally I ran a few different Garret turbo's, but wasn't satisfied with performance, so I got a WH1C Holset. It was awsome, good spoolup, lots of boost, but it died to turbo bark... The current one is a Hy-35. Spoolup is instant, boost is also good, and with the fueling level of the 6.5 EGT's aren't and issue like they are on the Cummins.

Justin

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Justin thank you very much for all the help!!! I will definatly upgrade the injectors, all the studs! It will also run a set of 18:1 pistons, marine pump, intercooler, water/****, girdles, would like to O-Ring it, cam, have it balanced, custom built radiator, dual electric fans, big turbo, custom trans, polished heads, five inch stacks! I have the Cummins already but I want something different! Were did you put your intercooler at? Is it in front of the radiator or is it behind the bumper? What do you think propane would do on this setup, make it go boom? If you can get me that number I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Andy

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Andy, Glad to help. The phone number is 1-800-553-8192. They are called The Diesel Depot/Avant Salvage. They specialize in 6.2/6.5 diesels and can hook you up will the cam, pistons, and IP. Ask for Benny, he is hard to get ahold of, but knows his stuff. The problem you will run into is fueling, to get the most fuel possible you might want to talk to Penisular Diesel in MI phone # is: 1-800-942-0445 I think you want to talk to Matt. They also offer low compression pistons, IP's turbo's, and the like. Another guy to talk to is Bill Heath of Heath Diesel in OR, his phone # is: 1-877-894-6266 ask for Bill.

My intercooler is a homemade unit off of a tractor that I put in front of the radiator. It required cutting the grill some, but is better than draging the ground IMO. I personally would stay away from pane just for the fact that it can cause cyl pressures to rise to quick. The bottom end/ crank is already weak enough I don't think it can handle the extra stress. With the HO IP, intercooling, water/****, turbo combo I think you'll be around the 300-350 HP range.

Justin

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the auto tranny will need so help adjusting to the mechanical IP. A tranny harness, ECM, TPS, and rpm sensor from a '93 or earlier will fit the bill. The other option is to piggy back the stock '94 foot peddle to the manual throttle cable you'll have to install.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
His I believe is totally stock but its a clean pickup and runs nice (reads..........gutless as all get out but gets 18 mpg).

Gutless ain't the word ;Really Had new '83 and then a '85 GMC 3500
Sierra then a'88 GMC van {forget the model}when I was a field tech for Detroit Diesel.

Uphill, downhill-loaded,empty...same response,same fuel consumption--13 mpg.
You think Ford has issues with the E4OD :rotflmao converter failures :rolleyes:

Can't count the times a FORD 6.9 had to pull me :hail
Talk about truly embaressing......................

Guess that sparked my desire for International diesel power ;Sweet

I rate the 6.2 right up there with Detroits abomination......................... the 8.2 fuel "sphincter" :puke: :puke: :puke:

Boat anchors and crab homes at best ;p

aaklingler

Reaction score
Whats up with Navistar making the new 6.5s, I know a guy that got one, I didn't know navistar made it until now. There getting some nice numbers out of the new ones. I was told there is also a twin turbo package, but it isn't reccomended for towing. Good luck on your project, I hope you get what your looking for. I'll keep my ford though.