Weird problem

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't access the site through my router. (Belkin Wireless N F5D8236-4 v1). It was intermittant in that i would log on access some pages then no connect. I now have to unplug the cat 5 cable from the router and plug it directly to my computer to access OB. all other sites work fine.

I contacted Belkin and they wanted me to change setting on my computer. I tried several times to inform him that I had no problem when directly accessing from the computer it only happens when going through the router.

I am using a HP G60 laptop I got near Christmas. I have been building my own systems to that point and this is the first problem of this sort i have run into. Any ideas will help. messing with the cords is a pain as I have other family members needing access through the network and when i need my OB fix :sly they can,t get on the web.

Thanks ahead of time

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Log into the router and make sure the firewall is not set to some really agressive level. Some routers will screw with this site (and most other forums for that matter) because of the use of cookies. You sahould be able to get to the settings by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser. If it asks you for a password and user just click ok without entering anything. If that does not work you may need to enter "admin" as a user and no password. Still want sa password? turn the router upside down and use the MAC number for the password. I know some ISP provided routers use that trick. Once in the menu, change the firewall settings to minimum or turn it off altogether. If that fixes it, go to the router manufacturers website and look up the procedure for allowing certain sites or cookies access and adjust as required.
Best of Luck
Ken

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had already tried this, but I tried it again. Turned off the firerwall and no difference. The manufacturer said there was no way to block specific sites on this router.
Thanks for the reply. Any other ideas would be great. I like my Blackberry, but it is difficult to access OB with it.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Thats really weird. They are rite, a router usually wont/cant block a specific site, but they can block a specific port or cookie. What exactly did they want to change in your computer? I wouldnt let em change a thing since it works on a cat 5 without the router. Is this a router you bought or is it ISP provided? Another resource that may help is the forums over on www.dslreports.com. They have specific forums for diffent manufacturers and you may find a solution there.
Best of Luck
Ken

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They wanted me to change the MTU setting but I could not do that on the router as it is a direct cable hookup. So they wanted me to change it on the computer. The computer works w/o the router so I figured this was a waste of time and a possible problem in the making.
The router was bought separate foir any service provider and I am dealing with the manufacturer tech support

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Very strange. I cant recall ever having to change MTU settings on a personal computer.... Here is some reading and troubleshooting you can do yourself.
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vpn/mtu4.htm
Be very careful if you decide to edit the registry to change MTU settings. If you want to change settings make sure you back up the registry BEFORE changing anything and know how to restore it is windows wont boot. There are tons of reading on that here http://www.pcworld.com/article/109380/answer_line_how_do_i_restore_my_windows_registry.html
Let me know what you find out. I am curious
Ken

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that I will just look into a different router. When I am accessing the web through this one it seems that everything slows down some. Any personal preferences? :confused: I have not had good luck with Netgear (kept having to reset it), now this Belkin, thought about Linksys. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Alan

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I have had decent luck with linksys. I got an Actiontec one from verizon that seems to work really good. Its very easy to port forward things (for gamers and filesharers!). I have ditched routers because of stupid crap crap like that before.
Ken

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 port Linksys NH1005 that I don't use anymore since I went wireless. You can have it free if you want it. Plus some cable Cat5. PM me with your addy and I'll send it to you. If you want to pay for the shipping when you get it, or it's free, whatever. Instructions with it also. Always worked good for me even with 70 ft. cable on one port.

Alan: Go into your profile and turn on your Private Messaging.

Last edited:

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for no reply. It is hard to access OB as I either need to go wired from the wireless modem or deal with the Blackberry.
Thanks OLDBULL8 for the offer but I am trying to stay with a wireless network. I thought my PM was on. It is more difficult to navigate the site on a Blackberry so when I can I will turn it on from the pc.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i finally got a new router and it fixed the problem. The old Belkin was actually slowing the connection down. Got a Linksys E2000 and all is fast and well at home again.

Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online