weird no start/electrical problem 1986 6.9l idi

86f2fiddy

Reaction score
i appologize in advance for punctuation/spelling errors. im posting from my phone. and also this is very long winded, but this is my only transportation and i have to drive it to work tomorrow, so i need this figured out today!!

the truck is a 1986 f250 2wd 6.9l automatic

last night i was leaving the race track to head home and when i went to start my truck the doors were open so the dome lights were on, as soon as i turned the key the dome lights went out and NOTHING electrical would work. headlights, tail lights, radio, nothing. so i called my buddy (91idi) who i know is very knowledgable with these old trucks, and he tells me to check all the fuseable links on the pass fender. they all passed the "yank test" but he mentioned a yellow one that feeds power into the cab so i decided to go ahead and bypass it to see if that was the problem. as i was in the middle of splicing it i moved something and everything came back on (while that FL was still cut) so i spliced the FL back together and headed home.everything seemed normal until i tried to turn my brights on. i hit the floor switch and my lights went off for about 3 seconds then came back on with the brights on. i decided to run home with the low beams after that cause everything started to flicker. after that it seemed alright, but every once in a while the ligts would shut off, everything electrical would go dead and the engine would stumble then it all came back on.. it did this a total of 5 times in a 15 mile distance. then right about the time i got to town it died completely with the same symptoms from the begenning. at this point its 1am and i didnt want to mess with it so i had it towed home. now get this, i get it home and when i got in it to take it out of gear to get it off the roll back the dome lights come on!!! hit the key, and eveything is working. cranked it and it started and i drove it off the tow truck and parked it under its own power!! at this point im pretty angry with it after a 60$ tow bill and the **** drove off the tow truck. and as of the time im typing this, it is still working. but i havent had the courage to drive it anywhere yet. but im lost as to what it could be. the only thing on the electrical that is modified is the pressure switch on the a/c dryer is bad and i tried fixing my ac yesterday so i put a jumper in it. other than that i havent done anything to the factory wiring. so i have no idea what its problem is. i know this was very long, but any help i can get is greatly appreciated, like i said above this is my only vehicle and i have to drive it to work tomorrow morning. thanks for any help!!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Maybe your regulator is going bad? My old '87 used to have finicky headlights and it had developed a bad ground wire and regulator out of the blue. Fixed the wire, replaced the regulator and everything was good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online