Weird Clicking

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn the ignition on my 1987 F-250 6.9L there is a clicking noise that sounds like this.
click.....click........click........click......click
It shuts off after a little while.
It almost sounds like what happens to a starter when it doesn't get enough juice. But I have enough juice.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Does the engine start? If it won't start the engine it could be the starter solenoid. If it does start but the click continues could be the starter gear is stuck for a bit and then it is retrieved back to the original position.

If the engine does start could be a number of things, like the glow plug controller juicing the glow plugs until the cylinders are warm enough to run with only diesel.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Since your truck is an 87, it should have the solid state GP controller. That controller will cycle the GP's rapidly, when it doesn't see the proper resistance across the GP circuit. The most likely problem is you have one or more burned out GP's. If your WTS light doesn't stay on for 12-15 seconds (On a cold engine) then it will start the "Clicking", due to bad GP's. I assume it's the controller's way of trying to compensate for burned out GP's.

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great information.
What is the easiest way to tell if I have the solid state GP controller. Is the GP controller threaded into the back of the engine block? Does it look the same as the old system? The GP solenoid is located on the passenger fender right?
This would make a great article in Diesel Power magazine. By the way project 300 will be on the news stands soon (Feb).

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
The solid state controller will have the relay mounted on top of it. It will also be mounted on the back of the engine, but not screwed into it. Non-solid state systems have the relay mounted to the inner passenger-side fender and are screwed into the back of the driver's side head.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is threaded in the back of the block and relay is on the fender well then its not the newer solid state one. Solid state is about 3"x4" with the relay mounted on top of it, usually bolted to the back of the intake or over the passenger valve cover