water sender goes where ??????

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi i am hooking up new gauges ( volt-water-oil ) they are machanical ,sept the volt of course.

I see there are 2 places the water could go, in the right head or above the pump. I have to pick 1.

Can you please tell me which one?

thanks Joe

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Above pump is where mine is.

Head temp runs quite a bit higher, gauge is more accurate on the pump, just make sure you have good liquid contact.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I put mine in the hole on the rearward side of the driverside head. There's a pipe plug there. If I had to do it again, I would remove the sensor by the power steering pump and move that sensor to the back hole, then put the new gauge unit in the front hole.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I installed my sender in the original sender location... The front head location is for the check engine lite.. All it does is ground out the system at 242 degrees and peg the stock dash gauge. The coolant flow in these heads is from back to front so the front will show a more accurate motor temp. Not the back of the heads.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a total of 7 spots, all but 2 or 3 are vacant, depending on 6.9 or 7.3. The ones that are universally not used, are at the rear of the passenger head, and the side of the drivers head. If you remember the heads are the same on each side, then one of the vacant spots is the equivelent of the heater core input hose, and the other is the equivelent of the factory water temp. If you have a 7.3, then the 6.9 GPC location is available to you.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I installed my render in the original sender location... The front head location is for the check engine lite.. All it does is ground out the system at 242 degrees and peg the stock dash gauge. The coolant flow in these heads is from back to front so the front will show a more accurate motor temp. Not the back of the heads.

Yep thats why i would mount it in the front of the head. I read 188*f cruising down the road.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned the 242 degree switch, I think a good mod is to change that one out for a lower temp. You want to know your engine is ABOUT to burn up. Not that it HAS burned up. :rolleyes: