Water pump woes

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the bearing that loose it's gonna leak. Better replace the water pump pretty soon before it grenades. Prolly leaking out the weep hole now on the bottom of the pump. Search "Water pump" on what to do. 57,432 threads on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.... Thats really bad.... Your going to need the fan nut wrenches. Those can be rented from most autoparts stores. Don't remove the belts till you have the fan off. Then loosen the 4 bolts that hold the pulley to the pump. After the pump is off the engine clean up all the gasket material with a razor and brakeclean. Now use 3M weatherstrip cement to glue the gasket to the new pump. Make sure its dry and made good contact. Now apply some rtv to the gasket to engine side and install. Make sure you use the correct length bolts at the top two holes. If you use too long of bolts they will touch the injection pump gear and all kinds of trouble will happen. The top and bottom two bolts enter the oil pan side of the engines so use some rtv sealant on those bolt threads. Ask here for any needed inforamtion before you do something your not sure of... Someone is always awake on this site... One last item... There are a lot of cheap pumps out there with lifetime warrantys... You pay for the first one but... All the others are free... Usually you will be replacing that "FREE" pump many times. This is one place where you want to spend the money to get a quality part...

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, where would be a good place to get it , approximately
how much ($$$) should I save up and should I video this project too.

Working on editing the G31 mod. step by step, it will be up soon.

Again thanks,

LCjeff

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AutoZone DWP 659 $59.99 Lifetime warranty. I've seen the Ford dealer mechanic in Azone getting them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AutoZone DWP 659 $59.99 Lifetime warranty. I've seen the Ford dealer mechanic in Azone getting them.

Lifetime warranty's arent worth ****, unless you really enjoy swapping out water pumps. Me, I'll take an OEM one that will last 100K, and I'll pay the price for it. I've got better things to do than to be thinking I got a good deal getting another pump for free outside in the dead of winter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

Now thats just plain scarey to me. I would really need to ask some questions about seeing this... Are they that much better a pump... Or did the stealership feel a pump is a pump. Now how are they charging the ford customer for that az pump... Markup or are they telling the truth about where they got the pump from... Was this mechanic buying for himself and moonlighting on the side at home... Way too many questions to just think that dealership felt those az pumps were fine....:dunno

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I replaced my wp last year and used all motorcraft parts. it was like 100 dollars. it also came with the top two bolts so you know you wont mess up the ip. I bought a wrench online http://qualitytoolsforless.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=6619 . it was like 30 dollars and at 3/8 thick it wont splay out like a rental might. I also put in a new t-stat (motorcraft 30$) only use a m-craft t-stat the aftermarket ones are bad news. I got a t-stat gasket from napa. remember the clutch is left hand thread. I put a few drops of blue loctite on reassembly to make sure that thing doesnt make love to my brand new radiator. All in all its not a bad job just be **** with that razor or you may be doing it again next weekend.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifetime warranty's arent worth ****, unless you really enjoy swapping out water pumps. Me, I'll take an OEM one that will last 100K, and I'll pay the price for it. I've got better things to do than to be thinking I got a good deal getting another pump for free outside in the dead of winter.

X2!!!! My piece of crap AZ lifetime warranty water pump had a seal and bearing failure after only 20K. And, I've had a coolant filter on the truck from mile zero of that pump's service life. Never again. They can keep that warranty. I'm not changing the water pump every 20K not to mention the complete lack of confidence I have in their pumps now. I got a new Motorcraft/Ford water pump for $90. Like Mel said, worth every penny for quality and peace of mind.

Heath

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Thanks again,

I replaced my wp last year and used all motorcraft parts. it was like 100 dollars. it also came with the top two bolts so you know you wont mess up the ip. I bought a wrench online http://qualitytoolsforless.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=6619 . it was like 30 dollars and at 3/8 thick it wont splay out like a rental might. I also put in a new t-stat (motorcraft 30$) only use a m-craft t-stat the aftermarket ones are bad news. I got a t-stat gasket from napa. remember the clutch is left hand thread. I put a few drops of blue loctite on reassembly to make sure that thing doesnt make love to my brand new radiator. All in all its not a bad job just be **** with that razor or you may be doing it again next weekend.

I hate working on water pumps!

That's all I have to say :D

Buy the best.... then laugh at the rest....:rotflmao:angel:

That's why I like this place so much, advice with a twist!:thumbsup:

Thanks again,

LCjeff

Guess I'll go to Ford again.......cookoo

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Thanks again

Water pumps are a pain in any vehicle, how much is your time worth?:dunno

Don't get me started on the starter......:mad:

I'm getting old, but I'm not done yet! (and neither is the old truck) Just want to be done with a few jobs like the return lines (got a kit from type4 ..... $35 shipped fast!, WOW), didn't think I'd be doing the pump at this point. Got the G31 mod almost done, 3 small wires left, video to follow.:yell:

Thanks again,

LCjeff

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2!!!! My piece of crap AZ lifetime warranty water pump had a seal and bearing failure after only 20K. And, I've had a coolant filter on the truck from mile zero of that pump's service life. Never again. They can keep that warranty. I'm not changing the water pump every 20K not to mention the complete lack of confidence I have in their pumps now. I got a new Motorcraft/Ford water pump for $90. Like Mel said, worth every penny for quality and peace of mind. Heath

I feel like I got blasted on this water pump issue.
I have no interest or stock in AutoZone. Just suggested where he could get one and the price.
To my knowledge, the OEM has to supply vehicle parts for 10 years labled as such. If anyone thinks that the OEM is going to keep the machinery to build parts after any part is obsolete to the engine that is currently in production has got another guess coming. That machinery to manufacture any given part is either scrapped out, rebuilt for the newly designed part or sold to an aftermarket parts manufacturer. That parts manufacturer can build, lets say a water pump, for any number of different third party entities. If it's a marked Brand, then it is licensed by that particular OEM.
If it's made in a different country, then the packaging has to be marked as such, not neccesarily on the part.
Just like I got a rebuild kit for my turbo. Garrett Engine Boosting Sytems. ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO FROM FOREIGN COMPONENTS. No tag or lable on any of the 12 parts, only on the box they came in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online