Water Pump Question

equium

Reaction score
I'll be replacing my water pump soon and I also want to add a coolant filter. Can someone tell me what the plug is for on the top of the water pump? It appears that some of us have a plug, and others have a fitting with a hose. Where does the hose go?
And, when I install a coolant filter, can I replace the plug with a fitting and plumb that to my coolant filter?
Thanks

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a hose there, it's what feeds the heater core. (It came with a plug installed there...)

I would say you could plumb the filter through that, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that.

equium

Reaction score
I've got a hose there, it's what feeds the heater core. (It came with a plug installed there...)

I would say you could plumb the filter through that, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that.

I'm still confused. I have a working heater, but I also have the plug. So, bbressler, are you saying that you had a plug and no heater at some point? I'm not at home right now to see where my heater hoses connect to.
Thanks

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump came with a plug in it...I removed it and put the heater hose there (same as it was on my old one).... I'm interested where your heater hoses are connected.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the heater lines... The hot side of the heater has the hose from the head going to the heater core. Then the return hose leaves the heater core and returns to the water pump. On all my pumps I have 2 ports in the top of the pump. The heater return is usually in the passenger side port.

equium

Reaction score
About the heater lines... The hot side of the heater has the hose from the head going to the heater core. Then the return hose leaves the heater core and returns to the water pump. On all my pumps I have 2 ports in the top of the pump. The heater return is usually in the passenger side port.
The suspense was killing me so I called home and had my son look at my engine for me. Yes, one of the heater hoses goes to the Water pump. Like icanfixall mentioned, there are two ports.
So, with that being said, should I consider using the unused port to plumb my coolant filter? Or is that just adding another point at which something could fail?

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
can you put the coolant filter in line with the heater hose, say the return? I've never seen one on these era of trucks, only on tractors

Chris

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant filter restricts the coolant too much. It will severely limit the heater. It would be better to put a tee in each heater hose and put the filter between the tee's. The coolant filter should loop independantly of any other system.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Here's my setup. Original plumbing goes from the passenger head, to the heater core, to the water pump.

My new plumbing goes from the head, to a tee where it can be filtered, or go to the heater, through the heater, then through a second tee to return from the filter, terminating in the water pump.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
The coolant filter restricts the coolant too much. It will severely limit the heater. It would be better to put a tee in each heater hose and put the filter between the tee's. The coolant filter should loop independantly of any other system.

yep i put mine in line just to see and it was getting about winter when i finily needed my heater and didnt work at all i was a little chilly

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, dumb question time. Why filter it at all? Ford didn't design it in, and I have 215k miles on my truck with no filter. Would a filter negate the benefits of the SCAs? (filter them out?)

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A coolant filter with precharged SCA's will actually add them. The coolant stays cleaner. It works wonders on larger diesel engines. Had ugly coolant in an engine. Added a coolant filter, the coolant looked brand new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online