Water/Air Intercooler Installed and true CAI (feel free to laugh at it)

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
As to stuffing more air to cool egt's....
Everything I've heard stock head bolts limit 10-11 psi
15 studded is pushing the limit?
So at somewhere around 12-13# the small turbos are said to build more heat than air.
I think this is a good primer thread for atw systems.
I look forward to the comparo.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
With WTA you have two processes of heat transfer, instead of 1 (excluding piping). Since heat transfer is never a 100% deal, it gives you more room for heat buildup. That doesn't meant WTA is inefficient, it certainly is. And in many regards its better than ATA in some circumstances. The fact that you have a large rad for the coolant is a good thing, as it will help with heat soak. When everything is sized correctly, I can see the WTA outperforming the ATA, but there are going to be some cases where the ATA will have a (hypothetical) advantage.

Once you start pulling a 10 minute grade, and you get coolant temps X degrees above ambient, that is where you will see a disadvantage IMO. IIRC the 6.7 Powerstroke uses a WTA intercooler, as does the new (well you cant get them right now) 2.0 TDI. They have their uses. I like the idea of one because I think I could fit it into the engine bay easier than a ATA.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Fwiw
As to stuffing more air to cool egt's....
Everything I've heard stock head bolts limit 10-11 psi
15 studded is pushing the limit?
So at somewhere around 12-13# the small turbos are said to build more heat than air.
I think this is a good primer thread for atw systems.
I look forward to the comparo.

That's what we use to say. I think we have pushed those numbers further higher, but of course that brings more risk. Mine has seen an non intercooled 15+ psi for over 20K miles. Heck its seen 15+psi for minutes on end while towing, on at least a half dozen occasions. Of course its studded, but thats it...and who knows where the boost actually was since the gague was maxed out.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least you know the vacuum is strong, lol.

Kinda surprised that happened though. When I'm finally working on a rig I want to play with that setup some. Maybe a restrictor or a filtered bypass I don't know. It's probably not worth much anyways, it would be more about satisfying my curiosity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7