waste oil options

JFA_Spyderman

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the WMO scene and have a couple questions. I have the ability to pickup a local shops waste oil, however, this shop just pours all their waste motor oil, hydraulic oil, ATF, and a little gear oil into the same drum. An average drum is probably 75% WMO, 20% WHO, and 5% ATF and 90wt. Do you guys think this would be ok, or should I see if they can start separating it out? I am looking to maybe mix maybe 50/50ish diesel/waste oil. Thanks!

mason44

Reaction score
I run 85/15 wmo/unleaded filtered to 3 microns. 50,000 miles so far with no problems I can blame on the wmo.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your concerned about viscosity get some of this waste oil and mix up some "small" batches and see how it pours out of any kind of container.
If a certain mix pours out similar to diesel fuel then I would say your pretty close.
It also depends what kind of diesel engine you might be running this through.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down here in Florida, I run up to 100% waste oil in the summer and down to 30% in the winter. All of those oils will burn well in the 7.3idi as long as they are well filtered. Been doing so in mine for several years now as a daily driver. Transmission fluid is also a good cleaner for the system! Waste oil has a much higher BTU rating than diesel. Much more efficient running.