Waste oil 6.5?

jefflauck

Reaction score
Does any one here have any expierence running WMO in a 6.5l diesel.I would love to make it work,but have heard there is no way around the optic sensor causing problems .Thanks for any help.1996 suburban diesel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does any one here have any expierence running WMO in a 6.5l diesel.I would love to make it work,but have heard there is no way around the optic sensor causing problems .Thanks for any help.1996 suburban diesel.
the DS-4 pump are ungodly expensive to replace and the optic sensor as you been reading is another issue.
that's why I went with a '85 burb even though the newer ones are more comfortable.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
wmo is a no no with it. I ended up replacing the optic sensor on a very new pump after ingesting some wmo. waste atf i've run up to 50% with USLD hasn't proven to be an issue. i put many miles on it like that till i told it to a buddy and he does the same.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that answers a question for me before I even ask. I have been looking at a 95 conversion van that needs the transmission rebuilt. He said he would sell it to me for 850. Its supposed to of had a rebuilt engine 30k ago I was thinkng of running wvo in it like the 7.3 and have a real nice comfy vehicle for road trips plus be able to still pull a trailer. What does this optic sensor do? I know people run wvo in powerstrokes but I think the conversions start getting more expensive than our old idi engines.

Is the optic sensor just a problem with wmo or all alternative fuels?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the gm 6.5 in the later years 94+ with the ds4 uses a similar injection pump to our db2 but theres sensor in the top of the pump that uses an optical pickup (led emitter) with a toothed wheel that rotates with the pump. The engine computer uses the info from this and the crank sensor to run the truck. It will run without the optic sensor but it runs in a limp mode with extended crank. Dark fuels do not do well with it. I had to replace the optic sensor once after putting WMO in accidently instead of atf.

I've successfully cleaned a few due to bad fuel but not wmo. If the fuel is dark, the sensor can't pickup the light. If you ever read about the optical bump, its just shoving the sensor over a hair like you bump the timing on our db2 injector pumps. 1000+ for a quality rebuild pump is not out of the question.

btw i ran lots of B100 and usld/waste atf through the truck with no issues. Ive heard of a few people doing the mechanical pump swap but that was on a manual truck. I had lots of transmission issues with the truck that ended up with a bad pcm.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wanna buy it but I am trying to stretch every dollar with moving this year and I have been spending quite a bit anyways lately. Nothing wasteful. That van would be awesome. Its a 2500 also so it should do pretty good with my bumper hitch trailer. Heck it might even pull better once the trans is fixed on the van. I bet wvo is clear enough then. The stuff I have is really clear.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
wvo is fine. gotta make sure its dry. i bought my suburban with a sheared ip due to wvo. it was only a few months old at the time.

see what block is in it though. them 6.5's had issues! I had gotten lucky as the motor in my suburban was already replaced with a International built block which is one of the ones to get ;Sweet

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we used to have a neighbor friend that had a 95 chevy with the 6.5 He went through 3 or 4 engines Don't know what the story behind it was but I would have gave up before that. I think I will give it another year before getting another vehicle. Its about 90 miles from me in Illinois if someone is looking for something like this its on ebay and I think a pretty good deal.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I put a IP, injectors, 2 transmissions (thanks to a bad pcm burning them up). I would never ever go through what i did with this truck again.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
the DS-4 pump are ungodly expensive to replace and the optic sensor as you been reading is another issue.
that's why I went with a '85 burb even though the newer ones are more comfortable.

Is there a difference between the 6.5 NA and the 6.5 Turbo Diesels as far as an optic sensor?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the 6.5 NA and the 6.5 Turbo Diesels as far as an optic sensor?
as far as I know of, there is no such animal being 6.5na and running a DS4.
iirc the last year for the 6.5na is 1993. it's kinda a unique animal since hooked to it's ass is a 4L80E(a very bulletproof trans) 1994 is the first year of the DS4 with the turbodiesel. I generally avoid the DS4 like the plague. even with the mods, the reliability of the pump is still highly questionable. it's already bad enough the 6.2/6.5 has cooling issues, a questionable pump would strike the entire vehicle from my list of reliable rides.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
You are indeed correct Cal

the 6.5 n/a was all mechanical. The 6.5 TD came with that ******* DS4 pump with the optic sensor and pos PMD.

Couple those issues with said cooling issues, cracked blocks and heads.... PLastic push rivets to hold the damn rockers on!

The highly desired 6.5 blocks have the International logo cast into the valley as they were cast by international/navistar.

93 had mechanical turbo diesels. rare animal but i had a 5 speed crew dually with a all mechanical turbo 6.5

94 was a basket case year with pumps.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I have worked on a couple of 95-96 GMC 3500 Dual Rear Wheel school bus type vans with the 6.5 NA Diesel. Yes they do have the 4L80E transmissions. Must be leftovers. But the Vins are 95-96.

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
I have worked on a couple of 95-96 GMC 3500 Dual Rear Wheel school bus type vans with the 6.5 NA Diesel. Yes they do have the 4L80E transmissions. Must be leftovers. But the Vins are 95-96.

they used the N/A 6.5 until 1995 in vans and buses then changed over to the center mount turbo motors.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online