Waste Motor Oil Distillation?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And really, if I had something like that set up in my carport I'd always be on the lookout for "revenewers"!

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So has anyone ever ran their WMO through their fuges or filters and sent a sample of their final product into Blackstone Laboratories or any other oil analysis labs? I’m working on building my setup right now and I was thinking I’d send my first batch off to the lab and see what they say.

Would be interesting to see what’s left in the oil after it’s been through the ringer. I use Blackstone for oil analysis on the engine and they have always been great.

Tonydiesel

Reaction score
It is possible to convert the waste oil to diesel using the right pressure, temperature, and catalyst. It isn't distillation in that case, I mean it still gets distilled but to get diesel from motor oil you have to crack some of the heavier hydrocarbons in a reactor. This is a pressure vessel with the air pumped out, containing the oil, platic, rubber, wood, fat, crap, algae, sugar, you name it, and a catalyst like nickel, or iron. The catalyst is chosen to make more or less of certain hydrocarbons, depending on what you want. Without the catalyst it can still be done at highr pressure and temps. There's cracking where you break heavy oil into lighter oil, and there's the opposite where you form them from methane or carbon monoxide and hydrogen. One reaction breaks water down and forms methane by reacting it with red hot coal. Another one makes methanol from methane. Methanol It gets crazier too, the Chinese have made a cataylst to form alcohol from co2. Eventually we will be able to make more fuel than we use and pump it underground. Then we can control the earth's temperature like it has a thermostat, and we can all still

Tonydiesel

Reaction score
It is possible to convert the waste oil to diesel using the right pressure, temperature, and catalyst. It isn't distillation in that case, I mean it still gets distilled but to get diesel from motor oil you have to crack some of the heavier hydrocarbons in a reactor. This is a pressure vessel with the air pumped out, containing the oil, platic, rubber, wood, fat, crap, algae, sugar, you name it, and a catalyst like nickel, or iron. The catalyst is chosen to make more or less of certain hydrocarbons, depending on what you want. Without the catalyst it can still be done at highr pressure and temps. There's cracking where you break heavy oil into lighter oil, and there's the opposite where you form them from methane or carbon monoxide and hydrogen. One reaction breaks water down and forms methane by reacting it with red hot coal. Another one makes methanol from methane. Methanol It gets crazier too, the Chinese have made a cataylst to form alcohol from co2. Eventually we will be able to make more fuel than we use and pump it underground. Then we can control the earth's temperature like it has a thermostat, and we can all still feel good driving a giant fuel guzzling vehicle.
I have been distilling waste motor oil for 10 years $780° is the approximate temperature and you get a bright green oil called pyrolysis oil or waste oil distillate and it runs a diesel engine perfectly and it's free to make pretty much and it's a very powerful fuel specific density 845 but is more viscous than pump diesel you can make an unlimited amount because there is an unlimited amount of waste oil available

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been distilling waste motor oil for 10 years $780° is the approximate temperature and you get a bright green oil called pyrolysis oil or waste oil distillate and it runs a diesel engine perfectly and it's free to make pretty much and it's a very powerful fuel specific density 845 but is more viscous than pump diesel you can make an unlimited amount because there is an unlimited amount of waste oil available
It sure looks scary though! Post pictures of your still if you can. And for it to be "free" you have to be using waste oil as your heat source, if not it would take a whole bunch of electricity to maintain 780° for any length of time and that would cost lots of $$$. Even using wood would be tedious and wasteful I think.

mathuranatha

Reaction score
Good day Tony , I have been doing it also but only a few years , but the last batch i did too hot [i use wood for heat so bit hard too keep the temp constant ] and bitumen went into the distillate and then it gummed up and seized my injector pump . I would be interested in any info about your set up Tony , - and anyone else , and also any info removing the carbon/bitumen deposits left stuck to the bottom in the heating chamber :]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.