waste gate control line

deadeyeb

Reaction score
I'm putting an inter cooler on my truck and was wondering if I can hook the waste gate control line to my intake hat or is it best to leave it on the compressor housing. I was wondering if the lag would cause over boost or if it would be all right. Does anybody make an aftermarket waste gate controller or do I have to shorten the throw on the rod. here is a couple of in progress pics.

Attachments

• PIC00011.JPG
    PIC00011.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 16
  • PIC00014.JPG
    PIC00014.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 17

SKimballC

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean about the lag causing overboost, but if you're worried about overboost you should keep the wastegate line hooked up as it is. Once you get it running with the IC, with the help of your gauges you can dial it in to your liking by tweaking the fuel and wastegate rod.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the lag would cause over boost or if it would be all right.

Lag is the period of time it takes the turbo to spool up from a "No" or "Low" boost pressure and provide the needed boost to give you the seat of the pants feel of power when you mash the go pedal.

I have no idea how it could create an overboost problem, max boost pressure is controlled by the wastegate.

deadeyeb

Reaction score
My point about the lag is that by the time the waste gate would get an over boost read the inter cooler would be pressurized high then the waste gate would open. that is the over boost problem I'm worried about.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I have no idea how it could create an overboost problem, max boost pressure is controlled by the wastegate.

Like the TD say, max boost is still determined by the wastegate. Any air that makes it to the intercooler has not exceeded allowable boost from the turbo per the setting of the wastegate. The lag just means that the magic will happen slower.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wastegate line

I just finished changing my sense line from the compressor housing the the intake hat.
I had 8 psi max and not slow but not quick spool time, unhooked the line completely and had 11 psi and much quicker spool time.
Now with the line at the hat it spools quick and regulates at 8 to 9 psi.
I have an '04 6 litre intercooler and 3 inch tubing so maybe this info will help some:D

On a happy note now I am going to adjust the wg to make 11 max and maybe a little more fuel. Man do these engines pull hard with a turbo, showed a '99 ps the way home.;Sweet

dualexhaust

Reaction score
I just bought a 99-2003 intercooler and hope to get it installed soon.
I also had the thought of changing the wastegate line to the intake hat, as to negate any loss of the intercooler. Basically to only allow the wastegate to open when you would be overpressurizing the intake.
Couple of question though....
What size of pipe did you run to and from your intercooler?
Did you use the stock ATS intake hat? I was thinking of using it pointed back at the fire wall with a u-bend of sorts to point it back towards the front.
Did you end up rotating the outlet of your turbo?
Any pics would be nice.
I was just looking at mine and trying to get a plan of attack.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 inch, used a 6.0 intake elbow on top of a propane air cleaner adapter . and rotated the turbo up one set of bolt holes

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 8

dualexhaust

Reaction score
Have you had any trouble with the air hose poping off of that propane intake adapter, as there is not a lip on it?

deadeyeb

Reaction score
Russ, where did you get the intake hat from. is it steel or aluminum. I was planning on building my own intake hat but that looks like that would work with less trouble. I could always weld a bead around the inlet to stop any trouble from the hose from popping off. my inter cooler came off a big truck need to modify end tanks and fab up a bracket, will take some picks of the process. I'm going with 3" piping, man what a tight fit this is going to be.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hat is aluminum, I have a 6 litre elbow on top of it but I cant find those pics. I will take some more and post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online