Waste Fuel Shut Downs

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read somewhere that when running waste fuel you will need to drive the last 10 miles on diesel to make start-ups easier. Is this true with WVO or WMO or after a certain blend percentage. Climate is southern Michigan.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a third tank in the bed just for wmo, and extra 3 port valves to keep wmo from getting into clean diesel.
Just sitting idling in the driveway I figured it took about 3-4 minutes to purge out.
On the highway I figure about 4-5 miles from my destination I switch over.
I think it does start better with clean diesel, more so when it gets to 30-40 degrees.
If the temp gets colder than that I switch over even sooner just to be sure.
The best way to check your purge time, is get a piece of clear fuel line and put it on the line coming off the injection pump.
Then just watch the line when you switch back & forth from wmo to clean fuel.
Remember on a stock fuel system, 2 tanks, when you switch tanks, some of that wmo fuel will return back to your clean fuel tank. So over time your clean fuel won't be clean.
I think waste veggie oil would be worse in cold weather then waste oil.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of several other people running the third tank to just for WMO. I am intending to run waste oil/atf/hyrdo around 85-90%with RUG then blend that with 25-50% diesel. With these ratios to me the concern for clean tank contamination will be minimal so long as I run the clean tank down and refill with 100%D2 from time to time. If my thoughts are flawed please point this out to me.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If someone used manual valves, you could switch the feed line first, then do the return line to keep from mixing fuels.
Just an ideal...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone used manual valves, you could switch the feed line first, then do the return line to keep from mixing fuels.
Just an ideal...

Thats what I have on my wmo tank.
One 3 port valve on the return side, another one on the supply side.
Here's how I do it. Running on wmo, switch over to clean diesel on supply side, leave the return side going into the wmo tank, drive for 3-4 miles then switch the return to the clean diesel tank.
Figure if I get clean diesel in the wmo tank not so bad, but worse if I get wmo in the clean diesel.

I'll draw a diagram and post it, sometime.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew someone was probably doing it that way. Just gotta ;Poke around sometimes. LOL

Nice,

Actually came across this by reading about WVO systems, and how WVO gets to be jelly or worse when it gets cold.
So just kinda applied it to a wmo setup.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard that also, always wanted to mix some in a clear jar, let it sit and watch.

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
I do not have a so called clean tank, as the last time I ran straight pump diesel was about 3 months ago when I started getting a little smoke at idle. I hooked up to a loaded trailer and took it for a good drive, and it cleaned everything right up. Now during my wmo experience I have taken out a few starters and a set of glowplugs, but I tryed starting on way to much wmo. I have since come up with a good percent for short and long hauls. Around town I run 1/3 diesel to 2/3 wmo, and I start and stop on it every day with out any problems starting. When I go on a long haul I switch to my big tank which has 90% wmo to 10% diesel. I will switch back to my low percent of wmo before shut down though.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use WMO 90/10 strictly, no USDSL at all.
I plug my truck in one hour minimum starts every time.
No glow plugs at all.
Low smoke, I use additive in every batch I make.
It will plume a cloud of smoke when I romp on it.
In the cold I dare not try to start it unless it has been
plugged in minimum 2 hours and the engine is hot to
the touch.
Once started restarts all day long...

Javier

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use WMO 90/10 strictly, no USDSL at all.
I plug my truck in one hour minimum starts every time.
No glow plugs at all.
Low smoke, I use additive in every batch I make.
It will plume a cloud of smoke when I romp on it.
In the cold I dare not try to start it unless it has been
plugged in minimum 2 hours and the engine is hot to
the touch.
Once started restarts all day long...

Javier

Ok I'll bite, cold in FL, how cold?
I am curious about your additive you use, you probably mentioned it before but I forgot.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run 100 percent in one tank, diesel mix in the other, the mix varies with the number of returns of WMO in the tank, but it's around 50 percent. My truck WILL NOT start without a splash of gasoline, or a shot of ether if i leave it on oil and it has time to cool significantly. I am very forgetful, and often leave the truck on oil. I have a reman orielly's starter on there that is 4 months old and is showing signs of complaint already. It takes me about 15 minutes to change that starter, so no biggie. I bought the autolite glowplugs against advice on this forum, and they literally didn't last 2 months. With good glowplugs I can start on 100 percent oil with an ambient temperature engine in the 60's and high 50's Without good glowplugs with mid south temperatures in the high 80's, and 90's I can't even start on Diesel without excessive cranking. BUT my truck is also showing signs of failing injectors. The injectors are nearing 400,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online