Wanting to build a sled pulling truck

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I've been reading around and following some of the summers truck pulls and realized. Why the heck isn't there any IDI's out there? Out of all the reading I did I only found one and it was a daily driven 17 year olds project. So I know that the best bet would be running a low compression bottom end (not sure how yet but lookin into it ;Sweet), 7.3 with 6.9 heads modified to fit so the injectors would be closer, and trying to fab up a compound turbo setup. and hit mel up for some injectors and a pump. I already found a truck thats wrecked as long as the frame isn't bent. I have yet to figure out my transmission choice, I'm thinkin a built C6 Because of the ease of finding parts and rebuilds. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm thinkin on starting on this in about a year when money allows.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Not trying to peeon your BBQ but I gotta ask the question of why? You'll get spanked in any class you run in with and idi. I can't see it being the way to go unless you just like the idi ALOT and don't mind not having the winning puller.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not trying to peeon your BBQ but I gotta ask the question of why? You'll get spanked in any class you run in with and idi. I can't see it being the way to go unless you just like the idi ALOT and don't mind not having the winning puller.

I dont know anything about sled pulling, what other vehicles would run the same class as an idi?

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Listen wmoguy I'm just seeing if its possible to build an idi good enough for the challenge.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Listen wmoguy I'm just seeing if its possible to build an idi good enough for the challenge.

I understand.... And unless you have the dough to build a Hypermax 1200hp idi I'd say the answer is no. You can't build a sled puller that will win in any halfway sizable pull.

Black dawg

Reaction score
its pretty crazy that a stock class can be so open, the "stock appearing" thing in rules always makes me laugh.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yea i get put in work stock or street mod, never make it past 230 feet and everyone elseis around like 275+.... cookoo but i like going out with the scout to the pulls, lots of compliments! ;Sweet

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think a "street"/"work class" wouldnt have many trucks over 400hp, many in the 300 range. 6-800lbs torque or so.

I find it hard to believe a built turbo IDI couldnt run with that.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking power ain't good around here FYI. No offense intended.

It can probably be done but unless your good at doing the work yourself the costs will scare you away. There is no drop in part to wake these up but with enough modification maybe... The 6.5 idi can make 500hp, there are a couple 6.9 or 7.3s in history that made some power. But most don't have an income to throw down. Makes more sense to swap out to a newer DI engine financially.