Wanted to say thanks...

BrianW

Reaction score
So... "Thanks!"

Don't post much, or visit all the time, but you guys helped me out.

My '93 F250 with turbo'd IDI decided it didn't want to start up anymore. So I researched a bunch of threads on starting issues, and decided I was having glow plug issues. So then I researched glow plug threads.

Ended up replacing all 8 glow plugs with little problem. Even the one under the turbo was accessible using a long 1/4 extension and a swivel on a deep well 3/8th 6 point socket. Kind of funny story there... I removed the GP controller to remove the glow plug before I realized I could access the glow plug from behind the turbo housing. Still made for easier access and viewing with that plug, and the next one forward.

While removing the plugs, I noticed most were Champions, 1 Bosch, and a couple Autolites (IIRC.) While I know the Motorcraft ZD-9's are the preferred plug, the local NAPA only carried Champion (explains the ones I removed) and Bosch glow plugs. We live in a fairly remote town in SE Alaska, so I'm used to substitution.

Anyhow, I threw in the new Bosch plugs and right away I got the full 10 second "wait to start" light, which had barely stayed on before, and the engine fired right up.

Some notes...

The bullet connector on the glow plug under the turbo had the most corrosion. I think it had been in there the longest. I checked each connector for continuity to the controller with a multimeter while I had them disconnected.

(I had the red 12v wire to the controller disconnected)

They all check out fine.

I put anti-seize on the glow plug threads.

As I had nothing better at the time, I shot some WD-40 into each bullet connector before hooking them back up.

I did use PB Blaster on the GP's a few hours prior to pulling them.

None of the GP's were broken off or acted like they wanted to stick in the heads.

I learned a ton just getting over the engine and checking out the fuel injector location, the return lines, and the IP location.

I do still have a starting issue, but will save that for another thread.

Once again... Thanks for all the help!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you did everything right! Congrats on using the site to its full advantage. ;Sweet I know I always hope that the search function fulfills it's mission and supplies people with the cultivated knowledge from the many here that supply it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online