W MO Pump

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i know a lot of us are starting to use WMO, i was wondering what pumps are people using to suck up the wmo and filter it with. I bought a hand pump off McMaster-Carr and i broke the handle off it (time to return). I was looking at getting a pump from http://redlinepumps.com/. But i was kind of discouraged about spending 200+ on a pump. im running my oil through a FS1000 and a 2 micron HE filter.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
people have hooked starter motors to small block chevy engine oil pumps there over there in the bio and alter fuel form
i use air psi to push my oil through my filters though

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
people have hooked starter motors to small block chevy engine oil pumps there over there in the bio and alter fuel form
i use air psi to push my oil through my filters though

that is what i want to do, i think i will use a regular electric motor though since starter motors are not rated to run constantly. i got the clear water pump from harbor freight and while it did work it was SLOW. about 20-30mins to fill a 55 gallon drum.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting on using a engine oil pump for fuel transferring. I borrowed a pump from a friend (along with a 120 gal tank). Bad thing is the pump needs priming. It's embarrasing to explain how it got primed. Works great though since it's rated at 12 gal/min. Oh, and the pump had the wires cut off but I added over 30 ft of wire and used 2 jumper cable clamps so that helps alot when I am draining a waste oil tank

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I have a $30 hand pump from Tractor Supply that works great if you don't mind manual labor. I had bought a small 12v water transfer pump from Harbor Freight last year, with intentions of using it as fuel/oil transfer. It stated on the box that it was not intended for moving flammable liquid's, and now I know why. The rubber impeller is glued to the steel motor shaft, and diesel fuel broke down the glue's bond rather quickly. I transfered about 30gal. of diesel before the pump went south. Now I have a $20 12v pump that aint worth crap. Now I use the hand pump.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using ShurFlo FloJet water pump? I got one for free. So no loss if it doesnt last long. But I'd rather sell it and put the money towards a good pump if its deffinately not going to work.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using ShurFlo FloJet water pump? I got one for free. So no loss if it doesnt last long. But I'd rather sell it and put the money towards a good pump if its deffinately not going to work.

If it's a diaphram pump, it'll probably work just fine. If its a centrifugal pump it may not work depending on what the guts are made of. :dunno

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we dont have any TS in my area. I am really thinking about getting that electric pump but its so expensive, i might be better off running a modified air pig with 30 PSI in it pushing the oil.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a diaphragm pump, think its strong enough to push the oil through a couple of filters? Or would I be better off using it to pull oil through the filters. Its rated to 35 psi.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
It is a diaphragm pump, think its strong enough to push the oil through a couple of filters? Or would I be better off using it to pull oil through the filters. Its rated to 35 psi.

pumps always push with pressure better than they can pull (vacuume).

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Its rated to 35 psi
Be carefull about over pressure to the IP. I'm pretty sure that our IP's should not see more than 8-10 psi, otherwise you'll advance injection timing.
My electric fuel pump flows between 5-7 psi. Close to the stock lift pump pressure.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be carefull about over pressure to the IP. I'm pretty sure that our IP's should not see more than 8-10 psi, otherwise you'll advance injection timing.
My electric fuel pump flows between 5-7 psi. Close to the stock lift pump pressure.

i think they are talking about pumping it through filters into the tank, not a fuel pump.

i am getting ready to build a pump and use a electric motor and a power steering pump or a a/c pump. i just need to regulate it down so it dont blow up my filters.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fuel pumps. I want to do away with my mechanical lift pump (after ready and researching), and go to an electrict pump that will pump whatever fuel I decide to burn, diesel, oil, etc., what pump do you all recomend I use, and how, etc.

Marq

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking too, getting a used PS pump and running it off like a 1/2 HP or 1/3 HP electric motor with a pressure bypass valve on it so it can self regulate at like 30 PSI or something.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fuel pumps. I want to do away with my mechanical lift pump (after ready and researching), and go to an electrict pump that will pump whatever fuel I decide to burn, diesel, oil, etc., what pump do you all recomend I use, and how, etc.

Marq

i run a carter, and it pumps 75% wmo just fine

Thats what i was thinking too, getting a used PS pump and running it off like a 1/2 HP or 1/3 HP electric motor with a pressure bypass valve on it so it can self regulate at like 30 PSI or something.

i was thinking of using a air compressor pressure switch, set it to come on at like 30-40 psi and shut off at 40-50 psi. and put a ball valve or a gas pump nozzle on it. i would just use a steel drum and 40 psi of air because of simplicity. but so far i have everything here to make it, just not the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online