Vin Codes, etc.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I was looking through my books today trying to find out somethings and I just had a few questions as some things don't seem to match up or as cut and dry.

Full Label shot.

You must be registered for see images attach

1st things first, the rims being 16x6. Is that specifically my truck or is that the same for all. What I mean by that, is lets say if my truck came with alcoas or any other stock ford truck wheel that was say, 16x7; would it show 16x7 on my label?

2nd. My transmission is listed as C, which is listed as the manual 5 spd, close ratio. What were the differences between the other listed 5 speeds and did that come in our trucks; Overdrive or HD Overdrive? If I remember through my research through the years that those other 2 were used for the F150's and such, not for the F250/350 diesels; but I could be wrong.

3rd. My axle code is listed as 35, which is listed as 4.10 gears. But doesn't say anything about LS?

4th. This is showing the front axle code and if its LS, but mine isn't showing a front axle code; even though my truck is a 4x4? Also I was under the impression no front axle came with LS?

5th. My tape code doesnt have anything listed; even though my truck is red with grey tape lines on the truck. Everything on my truck is totally ford original; so is that saying a painted tape line or the sticker lines that mine has.

6th. The spring code, mine is showing 49F as the code; but in the book it shows its suppsed to have a 4 digit showing the code for front springs and rear springs. Any reason why mine is like this?

Thanks for the help and clarification on somethings. These ford oem work manuals are great with all the specifics in them. Totally worth the money.

Oh and for your viewing pleasure, just turned over 46,000 miles this week on the ole gal. She turns 23 next month as she was born 4/90 in Norfolk, Virginia plant and ordered from St. Louis. Which makes sense as I bought it from the original owner who lived in Illinois still; still has the dealer sticker on the tailgate that it was originally sold from.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was just reading something the other day about the axle codes.
I think the tab on the housing is what actually denotes LSD or not, but some reason not all are marked LS Even if it is infact a LSD.

I'll see if I can find it.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If it has a letter its ls
2 numbers is open

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
What he said...

The M5OD was the Bronco/F150 5 speed manual. I don't know why it's not listed, but the gas HD trucks had the wide ratio zf5.

Is the wide ratio better than the close ratio? Our is just the close ratio better for us because of the diesel torque curve and rpms?

Also, if anyone can help with the other questions; it would be greatly appreciated.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that some of these questions were answered already, but I'm going to go through each of these and give the best answer I can...I'm even going to answer the ones that were answered already just so I don't risk missing anything :oops:

1st things first, the rims being 16x6. Is that specifically my truck or is that the same for all. What I mean by that, is lets say if my truck came with alcoas or any other stock ford truck wheel that was say, 16x7; would it show 16x7 on my label?
AFAIK all of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that had steel rims had 16x6 rims. More to the point, IIRC every 8-lug truck Ford sold before the Alcoas became available in '95 or so had steel rims. Since I've never dealt with a post '95 F-250/350 or any F-150/Bronco, I can't say for certain, but my guess is that yes, the label would show the rim size that the truck came with.

2nd. My transmission is listed as C, which is listed as the manual 5 spd, close ratio. What were the differences between the other listed 5 speeds and did that come in our trucks; Overdrive or HD Overdrive? If I remember through my research through the years that those other 2 were used for the F150's and such, not for the F250/350 diesels; but I could be wrong.
IIRC the two Mazda 5 speeds came behind the 300 ci I-6 or the 302/351 small blocks; the diesels and 460's got ZF5's. I don't know of any M5OD that was ever put behind a diesel or a 460; conversely, I don't know of any ZF5 that was ever put behind any other engine. IIRC the 351 and the 300 I-6 were available in the heavy-duty trucks, which probably explains the HD Mazda listed.

3rd. My axle code is listed as 35, which is listed as 4.10 gears. But doesn't say anything about LS?
As posted, two letters means an open differential. A letter and a number indicates a limited-slip differential. I'm not sure why Ford didn't specify in your manual.

4th. This is showing the front axle code and if its LS, but mine isn't showing a front axle code; even though my truck is a 4x4? Also I was under the impression no front axle came with LS?
No front axle code means an open front differential. I have yet to see a truck with a factory limited-slip front differential; my guess is that that's an F-150/Bronco thing. My old Scout had a limited-slip front axle...it made off-roading great ;Sweet

5th. My tape code doesnt have anything listed; even though my truck is red with grey tape lines on the truck. Everything on my truck is totally ford original; so is that saying a painted tape line or the sticker lines that mine has.
Maybe the tape was added by the dealer as opposed to the factory? I'd have to double-check, but I think my truck's tag has a tape code listed...

6th. The spring code, mine is showing 49F as the code; but in the book it shows its suppsed to have a 4 digit showing the code for front springs and rear springs. Any reason why mine is like this?
I have to be honest and say that I have no clue why that's the case :dunno

Hope this helps a bit :angel: