Vibration at 43~52 mph

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have a newly developed vibration coming from the rear end (can feel it in my butt) that happens between 43-52mph. I have tried to narrow it down by pressing in on the clutch which does nothing for the vibration (so that pretty much rules out a u-joint).

Just had the tires balanced and rotated a week or so ago (right before install of the locker) but this has started since the install of the locker. Bad thing was Tires were balanced/rotated 2 weeks before the locker install but Discount Tire fubed that up so had to take it back - so they were redone the day before the locker found a home...

So this leaves me thinking it could either be the locker causing this problem or Discount Tire still does not have it right. But I can run higher or lower in speed with no vibration...

I'm going to do the normal stuff today after work which is tire pressure - check the shocks and will check the u-joint just to be sure - gonna check out the springs for signs of problems (I have a real bad wheel hop since getting both tires to hook up :angel: under extreme power).

Anything I'm missing?

82fordtruck

Reaction score
maybe a wheel weight fell off? Does this have a carrier bearing?

As far as what you are missing?? I'd be missing the "E" right about now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trav, if there is a vibration in your rear end, and you feel it in your butt, then it is most likely a fart. I would try not farting at those speeds. :rotflmao

S W O N K !!

FFzzzzttt.... back to my own forum. :love: LOL

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Betta run Mel............
You must be registered for see images

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
had the same problem with my dually, took it to the dealership to have it checked out and they balanced 'em, then they also had the pleasure of balancing them the next day for free and giving my my $$$$ back!
THEY BALANCED THE TIRES WITH ROCKS IN THE TREADS!
so it did fix mine by having them balanced.... my $.02

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well tonight I pulled her up on ramps (yes Mel I did say ramps)...

Crawled under her to give a good look see - nothing out of place other than the cover for the rear diff is leaking at the top - gonna have to pull that and reseal it. Check the tire pressures and BINGO we have wiener - the drivers side was at 64psi and passengers side is at 74psi. That would do it all righty (tires will turn different rpms) so blew the both back up to 80psi then checked the fronts - both of them were sitting at 78psi so I guess the boys at Discount Tire just got tired with the rear tires - too much effort to actually blow all 4 up... - what was I expecting -

So now for the road trip - turned out great - still slight vibration but only from the fronts - so I will make another appt to have them do the work a 3rd time... They have so gotten themselves fired from selling me another set of tires it's not even funny. Me and ole Americo are going to have to have a pretty serious talk (Yes Americo is his real name).

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
99% of the speed related vibrations at the tire shop were air pressure or balance related. Most of the time people wanted an alignment, but when we checked air pressure/balance, something was usually wrong.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Trav, if there is a vibration in your rear end, and you feel it in your butt, then it is most likely a fart. I would try not farting at those speeds. :rotflmao

S W O N K !!

Man, that Mel is just amazing, he hit the air pressure issue nail right on the head, or tail! :rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:

S W O N K !!

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

sniff sniff

That's just a bad description for a loss of tire pressure. :D

See ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member