VHT interior paint

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
I have been using factory paint to paint gauge pods and what not thus far but since fomoco has decided to go from a 11oz can to a 6oz can and raise the price a few bucks it has led me to explore other options

has anyone used the VHT interior paint that autometer recommends? It costs about a third as much as the OEM but I'm just curious as to how well it will match.

they make a "ford tan, part number SP-978" that is supposed to match a superduty I think i'm going to give it a shot on my truck

thanks in advance!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have first hand experience with the paint colors, but here is something you might try. Give some of our vendors a shout, ask them what colors they are using when they send out a "color matched" guage pod.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
yeah i was hoping some of them might see this thread and reply

altough some folks get a little funny when i comes to trade secrets.. but i can really blame them for that either, i keep some stuff under my hat as well

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah heck, its just a paint color that they get from a vendor, its not like they are formulating the colors........ ;)

Strictly Diesel

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
jlayne said:
they make a "ford tan, part number SP-978" that is supposed to match a superduty I think i'm going to give it a shot on my truck

thanks in advance!
jlayne,

The "Ford Tan" won't match your 2000's tan interior. VHT mixed that one to match the early 99 Medium Prairie Tan. They are supposed to be working on some more colors, including the correct match for the Medium Parchment.

In the meantime, I have some of the 13oz cans of the Ford Medium Parchment if you need some.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
ITPDiesel said:
jlayne,

The "Ford Tan" won't match your 2000's tan interior. VHT mixed that one to match the early 99 Medium Prairie Tan. They are supposed to be working on some more colors, including the correct match for the Medium Parchment.

In the meantime, I have some of the 13oz cans of the Ford Medium Parchment if you need some.

I need a couple of cans for the 2001 grey.

ITP???

Strictly Diesel

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Depends on what you need.

If you need the Ford Medium Graphite, I have (1) 13oz can left.

If the VHT "Ford Grey" (which is medium graphite) is OK, I have several 13oz cans.

If you need the Ford Medium Flint, I only have that in 6oz cans.

If you want to double check which color you need, look at the sticker in your drivers side door jamb. Find the INT TR section and look at the 2 digit code. If the second digit is an "A", you need Medium Graphite. If the second digit is an "E", you need Medium Flint.