Verry Sad C6

Csgod0

Reaction score
My C6 is a very sad panda right now. It sat for a few months while I was troubleshooting what I thought was a low oil pressure issue (damn idiot light), and now after replacing the shift modulator, I get the feeling that the tranny is starting to go. She just rolled her first 100k, and its slipping between every gear.

I figure its about time for a rebuild, but I have NO idea how much this is going to cost, or how many parts need to be fixed. Is there anything to look for in particular before I yank this thing out and cry trying to work on a budget?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know very little about the C6, but doesn't the shift modulator need to be adjusted? For that matter, was the tranny acting like this before the modulator was replaced?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The vacuum switch can be adjusted for firmer shifts. As for an overhaul... Figure arouns $650.00.....

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission just went out a few months ago at 117,000. I had the whole thing rebuilt and modified for $500.

Csgod0

Reaction score
I've played with the modulator, it seems to shift at a decent rpm, but its most definetly slipping into gear, and between gears. Would I be better off rebuilding it myself, or letting a shop do it?

I've been looking at parts fromhttp://www.c6-c4.com/. The C6 #K8 package looks like a sweet setup to add to my transmission. I called them today, and they said they pull specifics for your application per order. So if I ordered for my diesel, they would get the appropriate springs, bearings, ect. They also have comprehensive reference material for the C6, including a vhs of the complete teardown and rebuild.

What did you two have to have done for your repairs, and is $~650 the average repair?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing i would do is replace the fluid and filter. then add some "trans-x". that stuff is gold in a bottle, if that doesnt work then look into a rebuild with torque converter. its hard to tear up a c6, unless it wasnt taken care of (maintenance)

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
When I had my 85 I rebuilt the C6 myself. If you do this yourself make sure you get yourself a haynes manual on rebuilding this. Its pretty straight forward. Make sure you get a lot of brake cleaner and keep everything clean. I replaced all the clutches, actually added a few without any modifications, added a shift kit, new 2nd gear band and cant remember what else. Also make sure the VRV valve on the side of the IP is adjusted right. If its slipping in 2nd try adjusting the band.

where at in Cincinnati are you, im over on the east side...

I rebuilt mine rather cheap price, I got everything off of ebay, and done all the work myself. I say around $400-$500 I spent.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've played with the modulator, it seems to shift at a decent rpm, but its most definetly slipping into gear, and between gears. Would I be better off rebuilding it myself, or letting a shop do it?

I've been looking at parts fromhttp://www.c6-c4.com/. The C6 #K8 package looks like a sweet setup to add to my transmission. I called them today, and they said they pull specifics for your application per order. So if I ordered for my diesel, they would get the appropriate springs, bearings, ect. They also have comprehensive reference material for the C6, including a vhs of the complete teardown and rebuild.

What did you two have to have done for your repairs, and is $~650 the average repair?

This is the Co. I use and recommend. Call them and they can help you. I used alto reds, and new steels adding a clutch with new drums. They offer a diesel shift kit and a great C-6 manual. I also used some of the other performance stuff like kevlar wide band and a new band lever and r-code servo.

Csgod0

Reaction score
Cincinnati Guy, I'm out in Milford, or tpwards Eastgate, whichever is easier to recognize. Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that this isn't as intimidating as it appears, and I could really pimp out my C6 to make it a hoss. What kind of torque converter do you recommend? The alto red combo kit sounds like an awesome buy. I might as well replace my leaking rear main seal as well, so I'll have almost all my issues fixed. New injectors are going in new spring, along with my planned turbo install ( goodbye tax refund)

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I bought one from Oregon Performance Transmission at a decent price. I still have it and if you want id sell it to you for $50 its basically brand new. I sold the C6 when I had it and put in a zf5.

Im over towards Eastfork in Batavia/Williamsburg.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one from Oregon Performance Transmission at a decent price. I still have it and if you want id sell it to you for $50 its basically brand new. I sold the C6 when I had it and put in a zf5.

Im over towards Eastfork in Batavia/Williamsburg.

you have yourself a deal sir. PM me a # and I'll work something out with you.

Just make sure it's a low stall diesel one. The link below shows the variations.

http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OPTI&Category_Code=C6CON