Vehicle purchase thoughts: need some other than IDI vehicle advice

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you were closer id sell you my 1992 Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4. great all around car. how could you go wrong with a 320hp twin turbo all wheel drive 4-wheel steering car?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intrepids aren't that big of a problem to work on. I used to knock them out in about 6 hours at the shop. Biggest headache was the timing chain. I'd tackle on in a split second again.

ive worked on several as well. there not really that bad to work on. if you can change the timing chains in a 4.6/5.4 then that car should be no problem

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input folks. The Grand Marquis/Crown Vic was like a far out in front 1st place, with the Magnum and Ranger having more capacity to move/haul/load stuff, and of course at a steeper price per mileage.

Right now I am looking at a bunch of 1999-2002 60-80K mileage cars in the $4000-6000 range, which I am pretty ok with as I've got to say I would spend a little more for the retiree's car than the ex cop car :eek:. The Blues Brothers comments were quite entertaining, but I've got to say every cop/sherrif/highway patrol I know drives his Crown Vic like, well I guess like he didn't pay for it! cookoo

Thanks for all the input, the search now begins, stay tuned.

R. J.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got to say I would spend a little more for the retiree's car than the ex cop car :eek:. The Blues Brothers comments were quite entertaining, but I've got to say every cop/sherrif/highway patrol I know drives his Crown Vic like, well I guess like he didn't pay for it! cookoo
I agree completely with that sentiment...I'm generally pretty gentle with the equipment at work, but I'm in the minority. From what I've seen at work, coupled with seeing how cops and taxicab drivers drive, I wouldn't want an ex-fleet vehicle (even though I contend that a vehicle built for fleet service will generally be more reliable).

BTW, I don't know much about the Dodge Magnum in general, but I always thought they looked cool, and I have a soft spot in my heart for wagons. I would also consider one if I were in the market for a gasser, except that Dodge stopped making them :(

tknomaj

Reaction score
I would not touch a DODGE to save Your SOUL!!!!!! The electrical sucks!! the transmissions break on a regular basis. ( Limo Company as customer and good for 5 transmissions a Year) the ones with the 5.7 Hemis break valve springs and the later years that have the upgraded springs drop valve seats and take out pistons and cylinder walls. Parts availabality is the WORST try and find lower control arms .

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I would not touch a DODGE to save Your SOUL!!!!!! The electrical sucks!! the transmissions break on a regular basis. ( Limo Company as customer and good for 5 transmissions a Year) the ones with the 5.7 Hemis break valve springs and the later years that have the upgraded springs drop valve seats and take out pistons and cylinder walls. Parts availabality is the WORST try and find lower control arms .

The electrical does not suck. Volkswagens have crappy electrical. Jaguars have crappy electrical. Dodges work just fine. The transmissions do not break on a regular basis. The W5A580 (NAG1) is a stout, high power handling transmission that almost no one loses. I know over 100 Magnum/Charger?300 owners as well as Hemi Ram owners and not a single one has ever broken a valve spring or dropped a seat. Those are people I have personally met and keep in touch with on my car club forum. Plus I am on that forum every day and see all the reliability issues that come up with this car. They are pretty isolated and random at worst. And who needs to replace lower control arms anyway?? The major issue with front suspension is weak tie-rods. Obviously stay away from the garbage 2.7L V6 and shy away at least from the 3.5L HO V6, but you just can't go wrong with the 5.7 or 6.1. They are very solidly built cars that last a long ass time. There are no electrical system problems other than a finicky sunroof that you on the rare occasion have to reset so it seats properly (nd I've never even had to do that). My only complaint really is crappy brake pads from the factory and kinda too much damn hard plastic in a car that stickers for almost 40K. That's the beauty of buying a used domestic though, the depreciation is crazy for the first couple years. If I ever get rid of my Magnum, it will be to buy another one, ideally the last model year 2008 in an SRT-8. Very rare collector, especially in Steel Blue. They only made 29.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I've owned both a 2000 P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor and I currently own a 96 Ford Ranger. Both of these units a pretty bullet proof IMHO.

The P71 Interceptor had the 4.6 Interceptor motor and suspension package and was pretty quick and agile for it's size. Most people think these cars are fast and they are for their size and weight. However these cars are not built to be a car that can keep up with a Ferrari, Z06 or they like. They are designed to hold excessive speeds over 120 MPH for extended periods of time where the typical vehicle will eventually over-heat. These cars have Aux oil coolers, Aux trans coolers, Aux power steering coolers, electric fans, etc, etc. They are also extremlely safe and fair well in accidents. Motors are reliable as long as they are maintained. The only real issues I know of with the 4.6 is the heads only have about 3 or 4 threads holding the plugs in just like certain year V-10's. You have to be carefull when changing plugs on this motor as well as when removing the plugs, especially if they have been in a while. IMHO........ a good safe dependable car.

The 96 Ford Ranger is also a great vehicle. The 2.3 liter motor and 5 speed trans are bullet proof as well. Truck has 140K on it and I have done nothing to it but general maint......... oil changes, brakes, shocks, belts, hoses, etc..... the general maint you would have to do on any vehicle that age or with that kind of mileage. Gas mileage is great as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Vic or the Ranger....:D

1994IDI

Reaction score
I will agree with the crown vic or marquis. For what you're looking for, it would definitely be an all around good car. Especially for that cost you are looking at. Anyway, good look and let us know.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rj-
i know you're not totally allergic to GM, so here's one to consider.;Sweet
I don't think it's a genuine 9C1 but it does have the LT1 motor;Sweet
when I was working patrol, I had a choice of the P71 or the early 9C1 w/305. I liked the comfort of the chevy hands down. they were butt ugly, but had a HVAC that could keep up with the rainiest nights and interior room for all my junk. you couldn't get me into a new Charger if I had a shotgun rider. there's just plain no room whatsoever.

CLEAN 1995 CHEVY CAPRICE LT1*CLEAN TITLE* - $1700 (san jose downtown)

Date: 2010-10-15, 11:29AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

1995 CHEVY CAPRICE,120K MILES,CLEAN TITLE 350 LT1 ENGINE,NICE CARPET DASH,18 INCH CHROME WHEELS,SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY... 408 4.4.9-0.0.8.8

KEYWORDS:CAMARO,TRANS AM,LT-1,CHEVY,BUICK,FORD,CROWN VICTORIA,LHS,CHRYSLER,CONCORD,DODGE CHARGER,INTREPID,MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS,COP CAR,9C1,CHP,MUSTANG GT,CHEVELLE,NOVA,CLASSIC

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

PostingID: 2007885527

Attachments

• 95caprice.jpg
    95caprice.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 4

94IDIT

Reaction score
I would go crown vic all the way. I've owned several "panther" cars (crown vic, grand marquis, towncar) and they have all been incredible. My 92 Merc when it finally died had 390,000 miles on it on one motor and tranny, and let me tell this thing was abused. my commutes were over 100 miles a day and I live way out in the middle of ranch country taking it through punishing dirt and gravel roads, (and off road when needed). The thing got 28 mpg hwy and ran like a top till the day it died. Also look into older Lincoln Towncars, they're pretty much identical to crown vics just in a different wrapper. Hope this helps ya out!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having never owned a Charger or 'Panther' chassis car, I can tell you my dad's got a 1993 Ranger that takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It's got the five speed and 2.3l engine.
If I were in the market for a small truck, I'd seriously consider one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online