Vally Pan Plug/Screw, supposed to have a hole?

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my engine back together after a stuck GP, and at the back of the VP, there is one hole for a threaded plug and the other for the CDR. The plug that threads into the block is hollow and takes a 3/8"s square drive.

Is it supposed to be open and allow things in? Being that I don't know where that hole goes makes me nervous.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of those plugs I've seen on my IDI's have been solid. Never seen one that wasn't actually a plug. What I gather is your's is open all the way through? I don't think that is correct.

Got a photo of the one you have?

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You are correct. That plug is also the valley pan drain. It draind any fluids that drip into the pan under the intake. It pours out on top of the belhousing. Then runs down over the starter... Not a good design is it. Shine a light in it of push a piece of wire thru it just so you can really see this is true. Don't gorget to install that plug. It also holds down the rear of the pan. If its not installed any water or dirt will get into the motor and ruin it. If you lost this plug your not going to be able to buy one. Nobody makes them any longer but... I bought the last 11% that Ford had. Now they are all gone so... I will sell you one thats brand new for $10.00 plus shipping. I bought these because I knew this forum would need them someday...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know that. That's is why I love this forum. What year did that change. Again, both the IDI's I have are solid plugs, not hollow. Should I drill the center of them out?:dunno

Heath

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I hadn't found a coat hanger yet, so I couldn't see where they went. Hard to find a metal coat hanger anymore.

Since I took pictures before seeing this, and maybe help someone in the future:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of weird plugs. Both of those plugs on my F250 and F350 are not hollow, but solid. Gotta think they were "replaced" by a PO in the past eh?:dunno

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Perhaps.... They need to be open so any fluids will drain out and not collect. Heath... Can you post a pic of one of these non drilled plugs...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I've taken one of the 6.9 during the headgaset, stud install. Gotta look and see when I get home. If not, I'll take one when I get back to the project. I haven't had a chance to even go over to Dad's shop (dang crew cab won't fit in my garage...:D) in almost two weeks. My partner has been out of town and I'm cover his patients and mine. Seems I can't get ten miles from the hospital without getting called back.:mad:

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... Don't complain about haveing lots of work... Many people are looking for work... Yours drives to the office to see you. Enjoy it when its there. Remember it pays the bills and puts money in the bank.... Your not going to hell for what you do.....:sly Its an adventure.... Enjoy it....:D When you take pics of these plugs give us a look at both sides. I'm sitting on the edge waiting for some pics....:angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online