Vacuum pump death

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I do in fact have a power steering pulley puller, tools are something I am not short on.......

I will take some pics of the pump so you guys can see the carnage, its crazy.

Jhutch

Reaction score
I put a new pump on 56 days ago and it lock up today causing my belt to snap. Got my new one on amazon and the won't replace it because it been over 30 day. Just got a new one from Napa $ 171.00 do I need to put oil it ? They said it's already in the pump

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

I didn`t know there was a plug to add oil, learn something new every day.
Wonder what weight oil is in there?

Even though NAPA said it has oil, I would pull the plug to see what is in there if any as long as it is still in your hands.

I have never had one lock up, one just quit creating any vacuum.
Early this past Spring, I grabbed 2 off some IDI Ford Diesels that were in the local yard. Had good strong vac. and were $30 ea with the mount bracket.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
They are a common failure. The one on my F250 suddenly went one way. It would build up pressure some but not like it should so I had to stomp with both feet when it didn't. I bought an O'Reilly one in 2017 and it's been fine. I didn't add oil.

Be sure to buy a proper pulley puller (such as Lisle 39000) or you'll ruin your pulley.

And holy crap!! The price on them has gone insane since 2017!! They were like... $50 I think? (edit: found my very faded receipt, actually it was $119.99. My memory fails me!)

That's the one my receipt shows based on the part #

I actually swapped it over to my E350 despite buying a new cheaper one online also. I put the cheap one on the F250 since it's sitting most of the time now, because if the O'Reilly one goes bad, it has a lifetime warranty and I don't have to buy another one, just pull it off and take in the receipt (or have them look it up) and I can walk out with a new one.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The oil is in the drive unit, not in the pod part. I don't know what type of oil is in there. Jhutch, what part of Kansas are you in?

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced mine a couple years ago with one from Rock Auto... don't remeber the brand but was surprised to see a warning tag on it saying it had to be filled with x-amount of oil before use. That's when I learned they have oil in them!

Side note... didn't think about it at the time I installed it, but another benefit of going to hydroboost brakes is you only need vacum for the Air Conditioner system. Next time mine fails I'm tempted to build an idler pulley to take the place of the vaccum pump, and then install a cheap electric vacuum pump since it is no longer a safety item with my hydroboost setup.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking in Rock Auto last night at vacuum Pumps to see the prices. Then started going up the line to see newer Diesels still used the same pump.
This is for the 2000 year trucks, still show the older pump, but Ford started using an electric Vacuum Pump.

These could be plumbed in and then eliminate one belt to the pump. (the older V Belt system) Not sure how the engines with the big rubber band could be redone eliminating one pulley.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Warning! Those electric pumps won't run a vacuum brake set up for very long if at all. They just aren't heavy duty enough. There may be electric pumps out there that will, but the ones that Ford used in the '99+ diesels won't. Those trucks don't use vacuum assist for the brakes either.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I was looking in Rock Auto last night at vacuum Pumps to see the prices. Then started going up the line to see newer Diesels still used the same pump.
This is for the 2000 year trucks, still show the older pump, but Ford started using an electric Vacuum Pump.

These could be plumbed in and then eliminate one belt to the pump. (the older V Belt system) Not sure how the engines with the big rubber band could be redone eliminating one pulley.
My RV lost it's alternator belt a couple years ago which of course took out power brakes. The brake warning light doesn't work so I had no clue until I was approaching a turn. Thankfully I was entering Amarillo and the highway on the east side going southbound leads straight to a truck stop so I made it there and waited until the next morning to mess with the belts, since alternator is the deepest in (meaning P/S and A/C have to come off too). Electric would be nice so that couldn't happen, but of course the electric pump could go bad too... (edit: oh now i see the post right above me)

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well darn, thought I found something good, and was going to **** some trucks at PNP. :sly

Edit: didn`t know that was a bad word.(Ra-Pe)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It would work just fine if you wanted to run your brake booster off the belt driven pump and the HVAC controls off of the electric.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Replaced mine a couple years ago with one from Rock Auto... don't remeber the brand but was surprised to see a warning tag on it saying it had to be filled with x-amount of oil before use. That's when I learned they have oil in them!

Side note... didn't think about it at the time I installed it, but another benefit of going to hydroboost brakes is you only need vacum for the Air Conditioner system. Next time mine fails I'm tempted to build an idler pulley to take the place of the vaccum pump, and then install a cheap electric vacuum pump since it is no longer a safety item with my hydroboost setup.
that is what i did in my truck. With the hydroboost the electric vacuum pump is only there to switch the heater controls. of course finding a hydroboost set up is not getting any easier or cheaper now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online