V-belt diagram

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if anyone has a good routing diagram for V-belts on an 80-86 with AC. I've had a tough time figuring it out. I appreciate any help and thanks Calvin for your guidance earlier...helped me understand at least a little better. I think I'm going to ditch the 9630 belt and use the slightly shorter belts. Thanks in advance!
JD

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Ditch all Gates belt's and install Dayco Gold. They are diesel rated and last for years. Gate's belts are nothing but junk.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have a diagram, but on the crank and water pump, starting closest to the engine and moving forward:
Alternator, Power steering pump, AC compressor.

On the alternator, the belt goes in the rear groove. The front groove on the alternator is for the belt that goes down to the vacuum pump. No belts go off the crank to the vacuum pump. LMK if you need me to try and get a pic.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Ditch all Gates belt's and install Dayco Gold. They are diesel rated and last for years. Gate's belts are nothing but junk.

Gates green back ones are just fine. Never a prob in 80k:dunno:dunno

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have a diagram, but on the crank and water pump, starting closest to the engine and moving forward:
Alternator, Power steering pump, AC compressor.

On the alternator, the belt goes in the rear groove. The front groove on the alternator is for the belt that goes down to the vacuum pump. No belts go off the crank to the vacuum pump. LMK if you need me to try and get a pic.

They should be self explanitory. It will only work one way and still be able to work. On my brothers old engine the alt only had a single pully and the vacuum pump was ran off the crank, and the A/C was ran off the P/S pump, but his new motor is ran the way you explained.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my belts installed. Everything seems fine. I used the Gates 9587 on the crank/fan/alt, Gates 9600 on the Crank/fan/PS pump and 9630 on the fan/crank/ AC compressor. As you said, self-explanatory. I was just frustrated and in truth missing a needed belt last night. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gates green back ones are just fine. Never a prob in 80k:dunno:dunno

That has not been my experience. My experience with any of the Gates belt has been delamination. No Gates belt lasted on my truck for more than a few months even the green stripe. I called the Gates company and their explanation was the International built the engine with a vibration in it. :rotflmao

My response to his comment was yes it's a diesel engine and all diesel engines vibrate.

I put all Dayco Gold label diesel rated belts on and the alternator belt going around the harmonic balancer and water pump as it was designed to and got 5 years of service out of those belts before I changed them. No Dayco belt has left me stranded as the Gates belt's have.

I was a sucker for punishment I guess because I tried three times with Gates belts and they delaminated within a few months of putting them on each time.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 84 5 yrs ago it had gates belts on everything. The first 2 yrs. I had to change the alternater belt twice. I put a dayco belt on and haven't had a problem since. The other three gates are still ok.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to run gates belts on our lawn mowers and we would have to change the belts yearly. We switched to John Deere's belts and havn't replaced one yet. But, keep in mind these belts are under Alot of pressure and load, and the pullys don't line up... at all! I think that may be a factor, the alignment of the pullys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online