V belt deflection measurement question?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang!

I'm doing the 3g alternator swap on the F250 before the long south to north tow. While I've got the alternator out I'm replacing all of the V belts as a preventive measure, I'll toss the old ones in the box to have as emergency spares. Anyway, my question is about how tight to make the belts, as others have noted, they're pretty fuggin long and I'd like to get it right. I poked around the net and didn't find much objective information. The one site I found recommend 1/4" of deflection across the longest run of the belt. They gave this measurement for all of the idi belts. I trust the wealth of information and experience here, so I thought I'd ask if the quater inch deflection measurement is correct.
Many thanks...:hail

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good luck trying to achieve that!
the alt belt i could never get less than a 1/2" on the long side.
they are craxy long, and retarded,
which is why i swapped to serp :D

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good luck trying to achieve that!
the alt belt i could never get less than a 1/2" on the long side.
they are craxy long, and retarded,
which is why i swapped to serp :D

Thanks for the quick reply!
Any issues with my using a cheater bar and doing my best to get that 1/4?
Any chance of hurting the bearings?
Thanks again for the help!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i use. the top of a jack handle.
the bearings will be fine. if you hear the belt stretch,
you went too far LOL

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Would've been nice if they provided a small bracket to tension the alternator with a ratchet like all the other accessories. I used a 12" crowbar to get under the alternator and tension it.

There was something to be a little careful of when doing that, but I can't rascal what it was. I want to be careful not to slip and hit...something...

Anyway, it's much tighter now.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your best bet to get the belts tight is to purchase the Green Gates belts with the notches on the inside of the belt, they flex around the pulleys better than the solid belts. They are a little more expensive, but last a heck of a lot longer and won't squeal like a pig.

As far as the deflection goes, you would have to have a deflection meter and know how much deflection meter pressure is allowed for a given length and size belt and a chart that indicates it.

Just tighten the belts up what you would think is a minimum, if they squeal, then tighten a little more.

They would look like this. http://www.grainger.com/category/po...91675&ef_id=Vw@eDgAABfAjWivl:20160422164626:s

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gents!
Would have gone with Gates, but I've already got NAPA. My deflection gauge is my thumb ;)
I remember seeing a belt deflection gauge when I was in tech school - in 1976!

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gents!
Would have gone with Gates, but I've already got NAPA. My deflection gauge is my thumb ;)
I remember seeing a belt deflection gauge when I was in tech school - in 1976!

I put new NAPA belts on mine to replace worn old Gates belts; they were identical. Had to have been made in the same factory. On another note, 1/4" deflection would be insanely tight on my truck, I just tighten them 'til they stop squealing.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer dayco over gates on vbelts. If the belt twists in the pully it was too tight.they gotta be pretty tight to not slip