US gear OD HELP

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm sorting out all the kinks in my truck one by one.
Next is the tranny issues.I have an 1989 f-350 7.3 n/a with an a/t tranny.(think its an E40) and a US gear o/d.The shifter for high or low in cab is not working.Tranny has been rebuilt by previous owner, has hard shifts when cold and sometimes while warm.Its almost like it doesn't sometimes it doesn't want to get out of gear.At freeway speeds of 60-65 im pushing 2600 rpm's.Thinking adjusting the fipl or tps would help but not sure.Any help with the tranny is appreciated!!

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir!!
I knew I wasn't looking hard enough:) That sure is a lot of info.
Is there any trusted tranny shop in the greater Los Angeles area that anyone would recommend.
Gonna take a look at the system tomorrow and look for something out of place I guess.(bad connections,burned wires,ect.)

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so checked all wires and connections that go from the overdrive unit and everything looks fine.the cable coming out the side of the box were really gunked up with what I assume is ATF leaking.All wires leading to fuse box for overdrive seem ok but the fuse box itself has the 2 fuse glued in really good,looks like it came that way from manufacture.I just wanna drive down the freeway and be able to hear my own thoughts is all:(

Again,anyone recommend a shop in So Cal

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm ignorant when it comes to transmission guys!!

I have a C6 with US gears OD that is currently not engaging

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to play with the electricals on this unit firsthand yet, but I suppose you'd want to start at the wires going to the shift motor. Are you getting electricity to the terminals at the motor? If yes, the motor may be shot...if no, then it's time to work your way back from there. I'm hoping jaluhn will see this thread and offer some input; he's actually played with the electricals on one of these...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you of? If you can get to San Diego I'll take a look at it. Well, the Us Gear anyway - don't know much about the E4OD

Sounds like you're having trans problems though - the Us Gear has no connection to the trans shifting/control and should strictly shift when you tell it to - any hard shifting/etc in the main trans is localized there.

Possibly a bad motor, possibly other electrical issues. The overall system is pretty simple on these.

2600 rpm @ 60 almost sounds like you're not getting into 4th in the main trans... or you have a super low rear. Just did the math, 60 mph with 4.10 direct drive is ~2650 rpm. With the trans od working you should be about 2000 rpm.

Could also be that someone threw a C6 in there - do you have an overdrive button on the shifter? How many wires going into the main trans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online