US Gear Dual Range

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I had a Doug Nash DNE2(predecessor of the Dual Range) in my 85 Chevy. It was great. Put a gear right where it needed one, between 3rd & 4th. Plus cruising gear.

It made more than one 85mph trip from Dorrance to Oz on Sunday afternoon. Not bad for a 4-door big-block land yacht.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a GV on one truck and a USGear I installed in the other truck. See signature page. There are reasons why you might put in one or the other.
Reasons I would have for choosing a GV overdrive would be:

1. Ease of shifting. Automatic....just like another gear on the top of the three in my C6.
2. Smooth transitions. It shifts really smoothly.
3. Easy installation...don't have to remove the transfer case in 4x4.

Reasons I would have for choosing a USGear:

a. Bulletproof construction. Much heavier unit than the GV. Guaranteed for a 30,000 lb load.
b. You want to use it in 4 WD.
c. You love to practice your shifts using the button on the shifting lever.

The USGear uses a motor to wind up the shifting mechanism. There is a noticeable clunk when shifting. I try to shift as smoothly as possible, but it takes a lot of practice to avoid the clunk.

70Post455

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the good information on the US Gear Overdrive Unit. I am going to look at the truck tomorrow that has this unit on it. The guy bought the truck at an auction and said he bought it for just the overdrive unit. He was going to install it on his Ford F250 4x4, but claims he looked into it and said it cannot be done. He said the truck runs and drives just fine, and that he has been driving it for a month now. He said the only problem is the oil pressure gauge shows good pressure when you start the truck, but goes completely to the L once it gets going. He said he thinks it has a bad sending unit.
I am not familiar with the 5.8’s that well, but could this possibly be a bad sending unit or are the 5.8’s prone to oil pressure problems.
Also I can pick up the truck for $1000.00 bucks and it has a hideaway gooseneck ball, also new tires on the back and almost new on the front, and the US Gear Overdrive unit that he claims is rated at 35,000lbs. I looked on US Gears website and it looks to me that this unit could be used on other Ford trucks you just have to buy the correct adapter kit. I would like to put it behind a 1995 Ford F250 Diesel or a 1995 F 250 with a 460 gas engine and an automatic eventually.
Sorry for the long post I am just looking for a lot of information to help make a wise choice.
Thanks,
Tom

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I highly doubt it is the sending unit. If it was a bad sending unit,it would have low pressure all the time. having good oil pressure then dropping off when warm. sound like bad bearings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online