Upper intake carbon

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, with all the new gidgets and gadgets out there to remove carbon buildup from intake plenums on new cars and truck...what does everyone think would be a good way to remove the over 1/4 inch thick buildup of 24 yrs of carbon and just general crap built up in my upper intake, which by the way, i can only assume is also choking the intake runners and head ports. we have an intake fogger at work we use on gas engines..but i'm not sure if the solution is diesel friendly beings the truck has to be running as the fogger sprays a mist of solvents into the intake where the venturi of air dispurses it and pretty much liquifies the buildup and burns it...shoots it out the exhaust pipe..short of removing the intake to have it tanked..anyone have any ideas? itsm my daily driver..so i cant have much downtime.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Holtzer1,
You have the C-code motor, right? w/the EGR valve on it?
Try to find a J-code (no EGR) intake and swap it on. 10 bucks at a u-pull and good for a few HP anyway. :D Either way, take the manifold off and clean it with dish soap and a bottle brush. I know it's your DD but pulling the intake is the best way to do it right.

Because Diesels are unthrottled, spraying anything flammable into the intake may cause the engine to overspeed. :eek: :eek:

G/L,

Last edited:

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
That's a bad thing!

Uhh...maybe pull the intake, soak it in hot, soapy water for a day or two. When it's done, the carbon should come out easily. I'd hit it with flat black header paint (inside & out) before reinstalling.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have a couple of intakes avail later on this month(will be killing off a couple of 6.2's) so I will take a look to see which one would do you best. imho, pulling th intake is not a major chore on these motors, so doing that will keep you from having to push the crap through your motor.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if it has an egr valve on it..i havent really looked at it too much, the sight of a v8 diesel makes my ****** shrink up. honestly though, i have no idea. where in gods great creation is the oil pressure sending unit on these hogs? i know its bad, its pushing 100psi of oil pressure when its turned off.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
The sender is in the same place as any chevy V8, rear driver's side. It looks like a metal can. Don't do what I did and get the Autozone/Sch(m)uck's/Kragen unit. spend the extra few bucks for the GM one if ya want it to last more that 2 months. You can also just get a decent aftermarket guage- if you plan on hopping this thing up it's a good idea. The fitting is 1/8 in. 27NPT. How's the intake working out?

g/l
Mac

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent gotten to it..hunting season and all..rust and ugly paint just makes a truck more a truck..branches, ditches and the wayard cedar tree are no match for it..lmao..as soon as i get a long weekend i think i'll take it off and soak it in our tank at work..or i'll try to find a non egr intake..if anyone has one..let me know..$$$ shipped??? is it a direct bolt on or do i have to mod some things..and what? i got the sending unit from o'reilly..the only place i could find one..money is not something i plan on spending alot of on this pile. one thing i am goin to do is trash that dual exhaust..hate it and its gay..1 7/8 pipe... a guy i used to work for will put a splitter on it up near the downpipes and run it into a single 3" and dump it out at the r/r quarterpanel..is that a good idea? i would rather have a single exhaust anyway. and he dont have the equip to bend 4" and thats not a cost i wanna get into on it. i guess my question is..is 3" enough? and has anyone ever run a straight pipe on a 6.2? is it loud as hell or what..or does it sound ok? if i can ditch the muffler without sounding like a giant pile of crap, i know that would lower egt's quite a bit, it has regular carquest mufflers on it now..i'm sure theyre restrictive, but sound is an issue with it. i had a cummins with a straight pipe..but thats a diff sound. whataya think?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online