Under running governor

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, likes to stall at traffic lights/under hard deceleration these last couple of days. It wants to die when I rev it up and then suddenly let off the throttle. I dosed the rear tank (only one hooked up) with the full amount of diesel kleen to treat 40 gal of D2. So far it seems to be making a difference. I know some of you guys have seen this problem, What happened after you did the shock treatment? Did it work? Work for awhile and then you had problems again or what? Thanks in advance.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change your fuel filter first. if your filter is plugged, hard accel and then closing the throttle will slow/stop the flow on a plugged filter post filter. if you suspect bugs in the fuel, dosing with biocide will kill the bugs and sned them downstream plugging the filter.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I've had a similar problem before...best I can tell, it was from a bad tank of fuel. I filled up at a station, the problem cropped up almost immediately, and after an overdose of fuel system cleaner/lubricant and running through a few tanks, everything went back to normal. This was about 8 years ago now...my pump isn't exactly happy (I don't think DIS did a quality rebuild on it), but I haven't had any problems like that since then.

As Calvin said, could also be a fuel filter that's about done for...certainly can't hurt to change it ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel filters have already been refreshed and it seems the fuel additive is doing it's thing. I'm thinking something is sticking internally maybe a metering valve or something, but it appears to be getting better not worse, I'm not that worried now. I hav eno other reasons to think the pump is in trouble and I suspec the problem may have been caused by a substandard batch or a few of biodiesel and/or just running around town a lot, not really working the truck and things just just got gunked up a bit.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stalling after reving the engine is pretty typical of a sticking metering valve. I've had it happen before. If that's the problem, the lube will help for a while, but a rebuilt IP is likely in your future........... at least it was for my situation.

But, I'd make sure it's not a supply issue 1st.;Sweet

Heath

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath, this pump only has 36000 miles or so on it, it has seen mostly good pump fuel and biodiesel. It has had to draw it's own fuel a few times due to restricted filters and some idiot forgetting to turn the fuel pump toggle on. It seems the power service has straightened it out at least for the moment. Going to hope for the best. Ideally I'd like it to last a few more months to about a year and a half so I can build an engine and use some non stock fuel parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online