Uhaul IP no high idle

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
When I installed my UHaul IP it was in the summer so I don't kknow if the high idle worked then or not but now that it got frickin' cold out it would be nice to have.

There is a test for this correct?

BTW, I do floor the pedal 3 times (I don't know why I do it 2 extra times cookoo) so that should activate it correct. Even when the truck is running, if you run it up to 1000 RPM it still won't kick on.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The way to test it is to run a pos jumper to the cold idle solenoid. With power applied to it, it should extend. If not, you need a new one. If it does, check the plug that goes to that particular sender.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MidnightBlade
I did the same thing this summer with a Uhaul IP, mine does have the high idle. Seems like it high idles longer, probably because it newly rebuilt.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'94IDITurbo7.3
I haven't really noticed the temp, if it moves much.
GenLightening
If your asking me I just swapped the IP's the "new" one had the solenoid on it . I'm not saying the longer high idle is bad, just different.
MidnightBlade
Don't mean to hijack:eek:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I was asking Midnightblade. The Uhaul IP I got did not have the solenoid on it, I had to swap it from my old IP and it may need to be adjusted if the throttle linkage is different. Yours might be staying on longer due to the colder weather.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No IP comes with the Hi idle solenoid, they are seperate for $89. The Hi idle is controlled by the temp sensor by #1 glow plug which also controls the cold advance on the IP. You have to turn the key on then push down on the go peddle to set the Hi idle solenoid. To set the RPM at 950, after the engine is started it take a 1/4" wrench to adjust it, screw out or in. All throttle arms on pass side are not the same.

Edited Hi idle solenoid. Uhaul Utechcenter has them in the International truck parts for $89.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do the power jumper test... See if the solenoid actually works. Then adjust if it works with a 1/4 inch socket. Also the bracket can be used to make an adjustment byt loosening the two bolts and moving the bracket either direction.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked mine with a pos wire it worked but still no cold idle then looked further the solenoid wasnt engaging the the fuel arm adjusted it an bam works great

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Mine required adjusting when i changed pump. On the new pump the plunger wasnt even touching the throttle. As said before, just turn the little plunger in or out as required. You dont want it to rest on it when its off and you want it about 900-1000 rpm when on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for future searches... I find the best way to adjust this is to start by loosening the two bolts that hold the bracket to the pump body. Technically, this is not an adjustment. It just happens that there is enough slop in the holes that you can get a 1/4" or more of movement, which often times is just enough. The actual solenoid "pin", "piston" or "rod" (whatever you want to call it) is indeed adjustable by rotating it, screwing it in or out as required, with a 1/4" open end wrench. The threads are very FINE. It takes a lot of rotations to move it very much, hence the reason to start with the bracket bolts. I usually set it up, so that with the truck shut off, the hex head of the rod is within 1/32" of the throttle lever. Whatever the high RPM works out to be with the solenoid engaged will be just fine.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has metioned this yet but is the connector plugged in to the temp sensor beside the water neck? :dunno

Chances are high that it may have come unplugged after install or worse yet, the sensor has failed.