Two stroke oil and cetane booser

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just talked to my brother, a huge diesel nut and he said he was reading in Diesel Power about these older diesel engines and todays fuels.

Seems they tried a real world trial and ran an older diesel truck for two weeks or so and got a good average for fuel mileage.

Then they added the cheapest Walmart brand 2-stroke oil @ 200:1 and saw a mile per gallon increase in both city and highway driving.

Next they tried some cetane booster with the same results, a mile per gallon increase over base line. (Make sure you follow recomendations on the bottle)

Next they tried a product that has both cetane and some sort of oil in it and got a 3 MPG increase over base.

Anyone tried this or read the article?

Could one put both 2-stroke oil and cetane booster in and get some added power and MPG?:angel:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I read the article, and it makes sense to me, seeing as how the btu content of this pisswater fuel is lower and the lubricity is way lower (almost non existent). When I still had my flattop, I ran ATF, Howes Lubricator and cetane boosters just to see if it would help the truck a little, never did two stroke oil. But, IIRC, the Howes has a cetane boost in it, and it started and ran a lot smoother with better throttle response.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Some refiners are claiming their additive package that they're adding to the ULSD actually makes it slipperier than the LSD that proceeded it.

All of this internet Hype about ULSD is mostly conjecture, with NO backing whatsoever.

If all of the doomsayers were right,We'd ALL be broke down on the side of the road.

GO read the study posted in the FAQ's

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree also and I can see the benifits of running something to add some lubricity and btu's back in.

You said you ran ATF in your flattop. I have been thinking of adding some to my fuel. what ratio do you run that? I may try the 2-stroke oil sometime too but I like the idea of running the ATF for a while to help clean the fuel system out.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I had twin 175s on my truck so maybe a couple of quarts each side (it wasn't much) every blue moon, a big bottle of Howes split between the two every fill up. For your truck, throw a quart in of the cheapest ATF you can find for a fill up. The best stuff for IDI's is that Stanadyne additive, but it gets expensive after a while.

Good thing these older vehicles can burn almost anything.

The problem with the new fuel is that it cleans the snot out of the fuel system and I know early on there were problems. My almost 25 year old truck just didn't like ULSD, and if I could find the 500ppm LSD fuel that's what I ran. It did like the biodiesel though, especially the Sapp Bros. blends. I tried to route myself so that I could get the good juice when going West.

Last edited:

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did read the tech article as suggested.

Looks like the Walmart 2-cycle oil improves the HFRR to 474 which is almost at the 460 mark so I thougt that was pretty good. I think I will try running some 2-stroke oil after I get a good baseline for my own fuel mileage average.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i believe the lubricity test that was posted up awhile back said 300:1 was ideal. i run 1/2 tank of 2cyl with every tank of #2 diesel. Its usually Pennzoil only because thats what the station has where i fill up. walmart is 30 minutes away but ive run their stuff with no issues. my ttruck ruins way smoother with it then without it and in about a half a tank without it you can tell the difference.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I do it and i picked up around 2 mpg i usually add 2 stroke, diesel kleen or atf

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If You read the article, did You happen to catch this phrase?

The study was conducted in the following manner:
-The Research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in diesel engines. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario

Do I run an additive? Yes. But not from fear of ULSD.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it works. Thanks for the info.

The tech article said the engine manufacturers called for 460 micron wear index. There may be more then one articel on this. Any way there were a lot of expensive products that had a worse wear index than 2-stroke oil.

I didn't see ATF on there though. Wonder what it does on the wear index?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy there Killer,

I did see that in the article. Sounds like they have added some lubricity back into the fuel. I think there may be some BTU's in the different things that people add to fuel to help with the MPG's

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
If You read the article, did You happen to catch this phrase?

The study was conducted in the following manner:
-The Research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in diesel engines. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario

Do I run an additive? Yes. But not from fear of ULSD.

i dont run in fear of not adding it. if i dont have it available i run straight #2...but its its there i will usually make an attempt to buy it and run it just cause the engine runs much smoother and quieter

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've been working a job 200 miles from My house. I've actually run 4 tanks of ULSD without any additive (ran out of Shaeffers Diesel Treat)

Guess what? My truck did not blow out any part of the fuel system. No leaks from the return caps,etc.

Fuel mileage was virtually identical to the previous 4 tanks. 75-80 MPH for 200 miles. 16.4-17.6 MPG on all 8 tanks.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
that's great...i'm happy for you. i just know in my truck you can here a definite difference in how the engine sounds when it runs with 2cyl added and when it doesnt run with 2cyl.

the typical diesel knock or what ever you would like to call it is much less and the engine feels smoother. it takes about 1/4 - 1/2 a tank of going from 2cyl to non 2cyl for it to start not running as good. i dont think i gain anything mileage wise but you cant tell me that its not helping the engine with the difference in performance. a smooth engine is a longer lasting engine.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
that's great...i'm happy for you. i just know in my truck you can here a definite difference in how the engine sounds when it runs with 2cyl added and when it doesnt run with 2cyl.

the typical diesel knock or what ever you would like to call it is much less and the engine feels smoother. it takes about 1/4 - 1/2 a tank of going from 2cyl to non 2cyl for it to start not running as good. i dont think i gain anything mileage wise but you cant tell me that its not helping the engine with the difference in performance. a smooth engine is a longer lasting engine.

I agree, doping the fuel up made my rigs run smoother, and you can tell the difference. Not all of it is snake oil or hype.