Turning up IP a bit to compensate for age

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm running an unknown age rebuilt injector pump and new injectors. I don't have any smoke at all no matter how hard I run the truck or at high elevations. It also feels a little lethargic from what I remember it being with the previous pump before it died. I have a new fuel filter and all new fuel line, and the lift pump is and electric one.

So I am playing with the idea of turning up the pump about a flat to try and compensate for the age of the pump and get a little more umph out of the old beast. If I start seeing lots of smoke its going back down again.

I also plan on installing a pyrometer before doing this.

What are your thoughts? Would turning the pump up actually compensate for an older one? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Others on here are much more knowledgable than I am, but I would think the amount of fuel doesn't really dwindle with IP age so much as timing does, so that's where I would concentrate.

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel the same about the older pumps changing the timing more than anything else. Mel sure will have the information to this. Turning it up with a pyro is the only safe way to do this. Please run the truck with the new pyro so you have a before and after place. My suggestion is turn it up 2 flats of the allen wrench and see. Your going back in if its too much or not enough. Banks turns them up 2 flats when they install the turbo on an na idi. At least thats what they did with mine about a decade and a half ago....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for the timing first, and then turn it up if your still dissatisfied. Get it timed to 8.5 degrees BTDC at 2000RPM using the pulse method with a 20 degree offset on your meter.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for the timing first, and then turn it up if your still dissatisfied. Get it timed to 8.5 degrees BTDC at 2000RPM using the pulse method with a 20 degree offset on your meter.
Please explain this Mel

I've not set any 20deg offset and I have just gone with 9.5 deg at 2K rpm. Please explain what you mean by a 20 deg offset on the meter. I understand that it can be done but please explain this so I can first understand it second do it correctly!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al. I have a video showing how to set your J33300 meter to the 20% offset. Really all you do is press the bottom rocker switch after the meter is connected and hotted up. Can't find the video but I know I have posted it several times on this forum. If I'm not mistaken the tall skinny magnetic probe location at the dampner tab is the 20% before top dead center offset. I have not thought much about why we use that location instead of using the short fat probe location which you know is the tdc. You even posted a great pic of the tab cleaned off with the line going thru the middle of the zero mark. Really a nice pic for those that have too much road crap covering that tab and the mark.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al. I have a video showing how to set your J33300 meter to the 20% offset. Really all you do is press the bottom rocker switch after the meter is connected and hotted up. Can't find the video but I know I have posted it several times on this forum. If I'm not mistaken the tall skinny magnetic probe location at the dampner tab is the 20% before top dead center offset. I have not thought much about why we use that location instead of using the short fat probe location which you know is the tdc. You even posted a great pic of the tab cleaned off with the line going thru the middle of the zero mark. Really a nice pic for those that have too much road crap covering that tab and the mark.

thanks Gary!

OK so I did time mine at zero offset for 9.5 degrees...hmm...makes me wonder! MY BAD!

K so now I'll have to work in that offset and see how it goes. I'll check the engine in grey truck one day soon!

Ya I know the picture you are talking about and I've seen the video as well. I just don't recall any setting of offset however I could be wrong but don't quote me on that ..:rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al. Read the meter instructions. They tell you how to set the rocker switches for the type of timing we use. Thats the clamp and the mag probe I'm refering to. Once the meter is connected and hotted up you see the digital display saying SE-1 20.0. Then you press the lowest rocker switch named offset Adjustment. You can only press it on the right side. Press it once and the digital display becomes all Zeros. Now start the engine and rev to 2000 rpm. Read the rpm and degrees of timing on the display. Record what you see. Shut down to make any adjustments. Now once the meter is set as long as its hotted up you don't have to change any rocker switches again. But if you drop the power then you have to do all that again. And thats just press one rocker switch.. Easy peasey simple.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I assume (hope) this instruction is specific to a particular meter (J33300) because the magnetic pick up is offset 20 degrees? For those using other meters like the Ferret then this would not apply? On mine I use a timing tape and go to 8.5 from the timing mark - my timing light does not have an offset, nor am I using a magnetic pick up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume (hope) this instruction is specific to a particular meter (J33300) because the magnetic pick up is offset 20 degrees? For those using other meters like the Ferret then this would not apply? On mine I use a timing tape and go to 8.5 from the timing mark - my timing light does not have an offset, nor am I using a magnetic pick up.

Yes yes that's correct!

Now I've got a wee project for you... ;)

seeing as you did such a nice job on that timing tape How about one that will go all the way around the harmonic? With 3 more marks 90 degrees apart from the 0 degree mark? Just a nice fat bold line same width as the notch for 0 deg, is all we need for this new project I'm working on cough!!:sly SO each mark would be starting from 0, then 90, then 180, then 270, however they just need be a nice line no particular info there:hail;Sweet

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew that, just wanted to post that for anyone else reading.

I can make you a tape... except I would suggest adding the 8.5 offset to each so us guys without adjustable timing lights can use it too ;Really

To make sure it's right I will make a better measurement of the circumference on mine. Having a slight error on a tape two inches long is not a problem but that would add up for a tape that is over 21 inches! If you happen to have easy access to yours, can you make an accurate measurement of the circumference? I know how to use pi but my calipers only go to 6" and the harmonic is around 7.125... it would be better to measure around.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the Force to explain it to you. Your welcome. LOL :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew that, just wanted to post that for anyone else reading.

I can make you a tape... except I would suggest adding the 8.5 offset to each so us guys without adjustable timing lights can use it too ;Really

To make sure it's right I will make a better measurement of the circumference on mine. Having a slight error on a tape two inches long is not a problem but that would add up for a tape that is over 21 inches! If you happen to have easy access to yours, can you make an accurate measurement of the circumference? I know how to use pi but my calipers only go to 6" and the harmonic is around 7.125... it would be better to measure around.

I will check however if it is indeed 7.125 the math is really easy! I'll check to make sure.

Really all I'm doing is marking the 3 remaining TDC locations, not for timing but for leak down! A degree off won't affect it really as there is the swing at TDC where piston movement is negligable.

This will make rolling the engine to the next cylinders TDC so easy it's not funny. Just roll it to the mark and choose the next cyl in firing order! Take readings and voila..done!

It appears the timing tapes are catching on, my friend Guy AKA Bigredcrew timed his with it and it was solid, then we tested that against the offset in his timing light...BANG ON!!!

I used the Force to explain it to you. Your welcome. LOL :)
I sensed something in the air today and now I'm confident I can time Puuuurfectly!

TY for the brain waves

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you were going to check the timing of the other cylinders (would be interesting to check). That's why I was concerned about accuracy.