Turning the pump up

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need more fuel after the turbo install. I know where the plate is and which way to turn the screw, I'm going to turn the screw a 1/4 turn and see what that dose.

How do I know when the screw is lined up with the window, if the line on the dampener is lined up with the pointer will that be right on or 180* out?

Also what size Allen wrench do I need to use, I forgot what size it is.

Jim

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the cover off and get a mirror you can turn the motor over with the alt. You might have to hold the belt tight to the alt but it should work. I can't remember the allen wrench size. I'm thinking 1/4 but that doesn't sound right.
Do you have a pyro?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Check out ziggs article here
I always pull the front cover plate . pull the 2 bolts and turn till the dowel pin is in the 12:00 position, then the allen screw will be in the window.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but it could easily be overlooked.... remove the wire from the FSS before you do this, and it's also not a bad time to have a board or something to slap pver the air intake in case she tries to runaway when you start back up. That screw really doesn't move much or easily. I should have maxed mine out when I installed the new pump after the turbo, but I wanted to play it safe, and probably got too conservative. I'm told a half to full turn(3-6 flats on that hex head) will bottom it out. Mine felt like it bottomed after 1/2 turn so I backed it out another 1/2 turn, so I guess I'm turned up about a flat or flat and a half over stock. How far are you going to go with yours?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I agree with Diesel JD.............If you think you need more fuel you wont be happy till the screw is all the way. When i replaced the pump it didnt take long for me to turn the screw on the new pump all the way up just like the old one. I missed the smoke.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I turned mine all the way up,loved it at first,but when towing I found I could build EGT's too fast. Now it is back to around 1/4 turn and usually tows at around 1050 degrees. On a steep hill it will climb to 1200-hit 1250 once but I back off I want my engine to last. Empty it is quick enough for me-love to feel the torque come on. Mr Bill

Last edited:

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
I agree with Diesel JD.............If you think you need more fuel you wont be happy till the screw is all the way. When i replaced the pump it didnt take long for me to turn the screw on the new pump all the way up just like the old one. I missed the smoke.

Do you even know where the screw is at? If I recall you were in the house with the ac on when I changed your pump:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Bill the 1/4 turn is plenty quick empty or lightly loaded and since that's how my truck is normally driven, I'm pretty content to leave it that way for the time being.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Do you even know where the screw is at? If I recall you were in the house with the ac on when I changed your pump:dunno

Yep you are right about when the pump was replaced but i was there when we turned it up had my own two hands on the vicegrip allen wrench combination and pulled on it as hard as I wanted to for fear of breaking something until i was satisfied!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
nobody ever seems to get specific on this everyone just says get a mirror and maybe i'm just the stupid one who can't figure it out I got a little mirror and couldn't see nothing even when shining a flashlight in the hole i shined the flashlight on the mirror and voila i could see everything in there. I swear i spent about 45 minutes trying to line that stupid thing up before i finally figured that out. I was also 16, just got my license and that was my very first mod to the truck besides the soup bowl cutout. boy was i nervous that i was gonna screw somethin up. It probably didn't help that I had my dad breathing down my neck and screaming that i was going to blow it up. sorry guys...didn't mean to tell you my whole life story just trying to recoup a great feeling, the funny thing about it is that I have had so many long nights with this truck i talk about that like it was so long ago but it waras only two years

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ziggster's article (linked above) is excellent and should be bookmarked. To get the fuel screw inside that window on IP, get the dowel on the IP at 12 O'Clock by rotation the motor with a breakerbar on the damper nut. Unplug the FSS on the IP first. It is not that bad, just takes a second to setup. Plus, you will dump a bunch of fuel onto the valley pan. Put some towels under the IP to keep the mess to a minimum.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin