Turned up the Fuel and time it, I should a done this earlier!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tonight I adjusted the timing on my truck to 9 degrees. It is really quiet now. It was at 12 degrees when I initially checked it. I also turned up the fuel screw two flats. That really made a difference. Definitely seems more responsive. Egt's climb a lot higher now also. It hit 700 degrees while I was running through the gears empty. I may turn up the fuel more, but I'll wait to do that until I pull my enclosed trailer next weekend. I don't want to turn it up to the point I have to watch the exhaust temps like a hawk. I'm really excited to see how it does. Last week it did ok, but i'd of taken some more power on the hills.

Hey for the allen wrench. You guys have anything special? I found one that I could make work, but my typical set didn't reach.

- Jeremy

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As for the Allen wrench I have always used a normal Allen wrench but because of how far you have to reach in I use the short end as the handle. I just slip a small boxed end over it and use it as a cheater bar / handle to turn it.
Now for turning it up by the sounds of it you may have to be watching the egt if you are hitting 700 empty but one or two runs will confirm or deny that. These IDI's don't shed heat all that well. And an enclosed trailer is like a brick in most cases.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you went the correct way on timing and turning it up worked out ok too. As for a "special wrench to turn it up I made this. I bought off a snapon truck the best 5/32 allen wrench they had. I then stuck it in the pump and figured out how long it had to be if I was to hammer it into a 1/4 inch drive socket. Then hammered it in the socket and cut it off a little long. Test fit it till I had what I wanted. Now I have a very nice custom allen wrench cut down fitting in a socket tightly with no flex like the long end of any allen wrench has. I use either a 1/4 inch breaker bar or a ratchet wrench when turning fu the fuel. Works great for me. Its always in my small tool box behind the rear seat too...;Sweet:sly

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
yeah I have mine turned up 3 flats .. but I'm N/A as well .. really woke it up ... after I get done with the HG's and wiring and such .. then I will time mine as well ...

What are y'all running ... 9* sounds good ... what seems to work for the N/A engines ? are the turbo engine's more responcive to timing changes or n/a ?

Reaction score
I hoard cheap tools that come with all the furniture and whatnot we buy. The wrench from my 'good' set wouldn't reach, but I had a cheap one that is just a tiny bit longer. It worked, but just barely.

Mike

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah my "good" set wouldn't reach either, but I had one on a flip out holder that seemed to fit fine. I have a peanut butter jar full of misc alan wrenches. When I find it i'll weed out a 5/32 and build a tool like Gary suggested.

I never did play with my fuel on my crew cab when it was n/a. Probably should have, but I didn't have gages either.

I'm thinking 2 flats won't be a big deal to me. Last weekend I was pulling my 8'x30' trailer 65-70 in 90 degree weather and was only hitting 900 degrees on the pyro.

Here's a picture of the beast. It's got twin 7k axles. Guessing it's 4-5k empty. Last summer with a ford 8n tractor and 2 garden tractors the truck and trailer weighed 17,500 lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online