Turned my IP up 2 flats..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I link the video and post my questions I just wanna give a tiny amount of backstory as to why I turned Ernest up 2 flats. The truck always does pretty good for being n/a, I think the banks power pack air cleaner and the larger exhaust/ better Y pipe whether it came from banks or was a back yard job helps the truck a lot with egts but the truck was just starting to struggle with larger hills if it wasn't getting revved up to 2700 rpm or higher to keep the rpms up for the next shift.

Even with all that, I could not get egts past 1000 and it didn't smoke 1 bit at wot over 3k rpms towing uphill. [Not that I care at all about smoke] Not that you want to be over 1000 ekgs but the truck just didn't have enough fuel to help itself and there was some room there so I figured I'd go for it. I put a "new" pump on from a 93 na tow truck last year that had 67k original miles so the pump is old but not dead. Stole its injectors too and kept my old stuff as spares. I have a mini moose or baby I can't remember which on my 6.9 which really woke it up but if you hammer down on it you can get the egts into unsafe levels [it doesn't have the intake and exhaust this truck has though]

So here we are..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now it's really alive. Doesn't feel like the same truck, and the truck is not a fan of that hill I'm on and I didn't even give it a running start at the bottom and didn't hammer down to wot until I put it in 4th.

I would have left it in 5th for the video but I've never been able to get to 5th on that hill unless I get a running start at the bottom so I was unprepared.

I took another run in 5th after the video and if I leave it at wot I can get the egts to unsafe land but it takes over 20 seconds straight and I can back off to 3/4 throttle and hold it right at 1100 and I trust the pyro it's a good isspro one between the two pistons that fire one after the other.

I guess my main question is if you were me and turboing this truck wasn't in the immediate plans [I'd likely turbo my other idi first] would you leave it up 2 flats and monitor the egts when your ramping on it or go back to only up 1 flat? I'm not really harming anything as long as I pay attention and if I'm not purposely mashing on it it doesn't smoke near that bad.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd leave it as long as you're comfortable paying attention to the pyro. Don't overheat it and it shouldn't be a problem.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my only worry was going to be with the fuel turned off if I'm going up a long hill and letting off on the throttle by say 1/4 to keep egts in check that it's going to end up being slower than what the truck was with the fuel down two flats and the petal smashed to the floor.

But I don't think that's how it works if I understand this right, if I'm holding the throttle where egts are right at 1100 that's still more fuel and therefore going to be faster than what it was at 1000 egts with the petal floored even if with the fuel turned up it's not really "floored".

I guess another way to explain what I mean is all I really did by turning the fuel up was increase how much fuel there is available to me at the pedal but there's still a point in the throttle that is where I was before I turned the fuel up, etc.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well you said that this made the truck feel "really alive". Meaning that you have more power now. Since you have more power, you shouldn't have to push the throttle as far as you did before. All things being equal, I don't think that you'll be having any issues by leaving the fuel where it's at now. Just in case I'm wrong, drive the sane way you did before and keep an eye on things. You could always turn the fuel back down a little bit if you do have issues.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you said that this made the truck feel "really alive". Meaning that you have more power now. Since you have more power, you shouldn't have to push the throttle as far as you did before. All things being equal, I don't think that you'll be having any issues by leaving the fuel where it's at now. Just in case I'm wrong, drive the sane way you did before and keep an eye on things. You could always turn the fuel back down a little bit if you do have issues.

Yeah, it for sure has more power it even sounds different. It's got way better throttle response and seems to be able to accelerate better at low RPM as well. I'm just not sure if the more power I'm seeing is because half throttle now is where 3/4 throttle used to be in terms of fuel. It doesn't seem to get hot enough during any of my normal commutes and driving situations, that hill I'm on in the video is just rough it's a hill I usually see coal trucks going 25-30mph if they are lucky.

The oddest thing I've noticed, is downshifting seems to have lost some usefulness now that the fuel is turned up. The truck idles fine and isn't doing anything "strange" with rpms or anything, it just doesn't hold itself back when compression breaking as much as it used to before I turned the fuel up.

I guess overall it felt like I was driving with the e-brake on before and now it's not.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It just adjusts max fueling. If you have to run up a hill at 3/4 throttle to maintain EGT's, its no different then running up the hill WOT previously (more or less, not saying 2 flats is this ratio though), so it would at worst end up being as slow as your previous setup, except that you have a 20 second increase in power so in reality it should be faster.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just almost feels like it adjusted the fuel up the whole way above the rpm curve because of the downshifting / compression breaking not slowing it down as much but maybe I'm imagining that part of things just because the other changes.

I didn't think the part about the truck having a side exit exhaust in front of the rear axle through, now my nice shiny paint on that side of the truck is going to be stained. Might be time to re-think my exhaust routing on this truck as well (I had just posted in my other thread about getting a bunch of free exhaust piping from a friends truck and thinking about putting duals on my 6.9)..

I hate running exhaust over the back axle, I always try to mod my exhaust shorter in front of the rear axle for simplicity, buy a glasspack and bend the baffle inside it from a V to a straight line so it doesn't do anything to be Pennsylvania compliant and have less hangers, but I may have to rethink my hatred of running a single stack. Although this truck pulls the camper so there realistically are no good options.

I hate exhaust stuff. I have an awful set of train tracks near me that kicked off the exhaust on this truck 2 years ago, I fixed it and the same train tracks proceeded to snap off the exhaust on all 3 of my other trucks in the same summer / fall. It's amazing how you can have luck like that but never win anything on a scratch off lottery ticket. The best part was my entire exhaust on my old winter beater from the cat back on a straight 6 F150 just missing when I get to work the one day, and sure enough on my drive home I see the entire thing sitting along side the road on my way home.

Last edited:

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm she’s a dog then, maybe 1 flat instead of 2 and some timing adjustment could net more power

What’s your coolant temp when your egts are high?

Fan clutch come on at all during the climb?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh its really not "dog" status now it's actually pretty quick. I just was shy to give the skinny petal to it until I watched my temps but today I had more time to drive longer and it's definitely awake now. It wasn't even that it was awful before it just had to be at 1500rpms when you went into the next gear going up steeper hills or it didn't want to work it's way out of it, but I really think it was under fueled after today.

I tried really bang shifting through the gears today [lol] from a few stop lights 0-60 on either flat or uphill ground and I can't get the egts to go over 1100 highest I got was 950 and it was time to shift and once I got to 5th I had to let off or I was going to be speeding if you can imagine that.

Normal flat ground egts were at 400-600, going up long stretches of normal grade hills I was holding at 750-900. If I floored it from there in 5th I could get to 1100 but it took 20 seconds and I was going 75 from 55-60. It would hold at 75+ then at about 1000.

Water temp and oil temp throughout all of this never went past 195 for coolant and 150 for oil but it was only 50 at 445am here in PA. A small disclaimer for the oil temp is I measure that after the oil goes through 8 ft of stainless hose and a Baldwin bypass filter to see what temp the oil returning to the engine is, and I have a huge DBL7405 Donaldson filter remote mounted on the frame rail as my main oil filter so my oil gets wind cooled everywhere. Water I have a coolant filter but no other mods to that part of the system.

I think I'm happy with it here, I'll have to try and drive it some more before it gets stuck in the garage for winter. Once its stuck in there it usually doesn't get to come out for a few months...

You must be registered for see images attach

My wife's suv can fit behind my shortbed but my tdi requires some interesting parking methods to get crammed in the garage.

Meanwhile my 6.9 and my cavalier have to suffer the elements outside. The cavalier I could care less about but I'd like to get a car port thing or something to at least cover the 6.9 lol..