Turned my IP up 2 flats..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't leak THAT bad but I didn't catch as much fuel as I thought I did with my paper towels and there's a nice mess on the floor now under it I forgot to clean up and my valley pan didn't exactly dry up yet after 1 day of driving it so I gotta dry that off too.

That stupid screw is awful to turn in the pump too I was convinced I was going to break it and didn't have a 5/32 wrench but ended up getting it to move with some vice grips.

I'm kinda debating if it was 2 flats or 3 because I slipped one time and couldn't tell if the Allen key reallly turned or not but it may have lol. Wish there was a better way to tell like when your timing the pump.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't leak THAT bad but I didn't catch as much fuel as I thought I did with my paper towels and there's a nice mess on the floor now under it I forgot to clean up and my valley pan didn't exactly dry up yet after 1 day of driving it so I gotta dry that off too.

That stupid screw is awful to turn in the pump too I was convinced I was going to break it and didn't have a 5/32 wrench but ended up getting it to move with some vice grips.

I'm kinda debating if it was 2 flats or 3 because I slipped one time and couldn't tell if the Allen key reallly turned or not but it may have lol. Wish there was a better way to tell like when your timing the pump.
IMHO, it's not really critical that you go '2 flats only' or any precise number - it's just a reference. EGTs and smoke are what you watch; dial back or forward to taste.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha.

Well a few things I've learned now that I also did this to my dads work idi with him.

1. I have no idea how many flats I turned my truck up. What I thought was my vice grips slipping or not being lined up right and turning air may have been a turn or two so I'll say I turned it from 12 to somewhere around 6 on a clock but its it's fine. That screw is just so tight in there.

2. I think the biggest gain to doing this is accelerating in 2-4. Overdrive once I'm in it is just cruising but when I put it in 3rd and even with a muffler hear an echo in the valley coming up a hill at wot and actually get pushed into my seat is a nice new feeling and I can't leave it in the gear long enough to care about my egts. I had 4k gravel in the bed today and it had more spunk than it did before empty and I got a good long drive in on a decent grade in 5th and could hit 1100 egts but had to floor it and hold it for over 20 seconds and was still getting to 75 on moderate hills with all the limestone.

3. This thing leaks and it looks like it had a gasket on it but the one with the oil fill on my 6.9 did not it was for sure rtv..

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well I'll just assume that you're not going to be turning the fuel back down very much. It sounds like it runs great now. There's not supposed to be a gasket behind whatever cover is on the pump housing. Just use RTV like the factory did.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'll just assume that you're not going to be turning the fuel back down very much. It sounds like it runs great now. There's not supposed to be a gasket behind whatever cover is on the pump housing. Just use RTV like the factory did.

Honestly if it needed turned down I would, I won't even drive this truck if it's supposed to rain. I thought when I saw it on craigslist it was going to be a roller with no engine and trans and sure enough it had both but the previous owner knew nothing and had a good 7.3 with some interesting mods with the banks power pack exhaust and intake and just bad glow plugs. I've gotten stupid luck getting a truck for 2500$ that supposedly had to be "pull started or plugged" for what cost me 80$ thanks to this site to have be my most reliable vehicle. This engine has a lot to give yet though, and as much as I'd love to turbo it after turning up the fuel if either of my idis needs a turbo it's not this one. It's finally "alive"

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So earlier in this thread I had mentioned about not liking all of the soot over the passenger side of the truck now that the truck smokes more powering its way up hills. My wife isn't going to like all the smoke all over the camper when we have to move it either and it's white and it's heavy so the truck is gonna smoke and it's going to get on the camper sides so I did something I thought I would never do..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't hate it, I don't love it. It's just kinda there. I haven't drove with it yet, I got it pretty secure under there but I had to shorten the pipe connecting the factory pipe to my "muffler" and now it only has like 1 inch of overlap there so I'm going to buy a piece of 3" ID pipe on my way home and cut it into two ( )'s and put exhaust clamps over it because I'm not taking this crap off again under there, too heavy. I just don't want any chance of things moving enough under bumps to have it come apart there.

I put this steel plate under the 90* up bend to hold the weight, and have an exhaust hanger where things connect in front of the muffler. Seem's pretty sturdy so far, just don't like all the more bit I have where those pipes connected like I said above.

I guess the only other thing I'll need to do is get some sort of clamp to hold the stack in the bed so it has a mounting point up there, not sure how I'm going to tackle that one yet but once I do those other parts tonight I should at least be able to take it for a spin.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't lie, if the bed on my dually wasn't so clean I'd consider stacks. I've seen them done nicely and they look ok, but I've also seen the "what was that guy thinking".

I looked at a Duramax that was for sale with the six speed manual several years ago. It was a nice looking truck except for the TEN INCH DIAMETER STACK THROUGH THE TOOLBOX. Ruined it for me, just looked stupid.

I'm not a fan of single stacks but yours doesn't look bad. At least you didn't do it because "bruh, stacks on muh diesel bruh"

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. It's actually easier to plumb underneath, I just used two holes that were already in the frame and put a 1/8 inch steel plate under the 90* bend where the stack sits and then put the exhaust hangers on.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So does this keep soot off of the camper? I've seen a lot of people who used a turn down on their factory tail pipe.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does this keep soot off of the camper? I've seen a lot of people who used a turn down on their factory tail pipe.

I haven't towed it yet but since it's not a 5th wheel and it sits further back I'm thinking with angle it's at it actually should. I'm more concerned about keeping it off the truck lol.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While I won't be running a stack, I'll still be looking forward to the report. I just don't like stacks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't lie, if the bed on my dually wasn't so clean I'd consider stacks. I've seen them done nicely and they look ok, but I've also seen the "what was that guy thinking".
I looked at a Duramax that was for sale with the six speed manual several years ago. It was a nice looking truck except for the TEN INCH DIAMETER STACK THROUGH THE TOOLBOX. Ruined it for me, just looked stupid.

I'm not a fan of single stacks but yours doesn't look bad. At least you didn't do it because "bruh, stacks on muh diesel bruh"

bruh stack on muh diesel bruh